
Surrender the Heart by MaryLu Tyndall - Yes, it's the typical, very predictable, standard romance storyline so common in that strange sub-genre affectionately known as "Christian romance" And it's definitely LITE reading. But I enjoy these types of books, I really do - just not a steady diet of them. I think what makes Tyndall's books interesting to me is the settings - historical setting, usually at sea. I don't consider the writing as good as many of the other big names (Karen Kingsbury, Lori Wick, etc) in this genre, for example, many of the descriptive phrases are overused and repeated throughout the story. In this one, I lost track of how many times that somebody had perspiration beading somewhere. 8-/ They were doing strenuous work, and it was pretty hot, but seriously - "beading" every single time? Anyway... Like I said, the basic premise of these romances is the same every time as well - man and woman initially dislike each other, spend the majority of the novel sparring and trying to convince themselves and the other characters that they are entirely unsuited to each other while denying their growing attraction, then overcome all the odds of circumstance to protect or defend each other, and finally admit their deep and abiding love for one another in the final chapters. Predictable. But still can make for interesting reading, and I have to admit that I was engaged enough in this story that I stayed up late into the night finishing the final third or so. As is also often predictable, this one is part of a planned series, so I will probably pick up the sequels when they are published so I can escape into another improbable set of coincidences with another improbable couple. 8-)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.