Tuesday, February 15

Recent Reads {Critique of Criminal Reason}



Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael Gregorio - This is a mystery novel set in 19th century Prussia.  A series of chilling and seemingly random murders terrorize a city, and a young magistrate from a small village is summoned and charged with the duty of solving the crimes and bringing the killer to justice.  The magistrate, Hanno Stiffeniis, finds very few details recorded in the official records, and must rely on his new assistant and on his former mentor, the elderly philosopher Immanuel Kant.  It seems that each time Hanno follows up on a lead, however slim, it leads to a dead end - or worse, another victim.  The setting is dark and oppressive, but the book certainly did keep my interest.  I found that some of Hanno's conclusions and logic made sense to me, while some did not.  I even had a suspect or two in mind before it was indicated that Hanno was considering those possibilities at all.  The solution to the crimes is chilling, and the novel's end somewhat enigmatic.  There are at least a couple of sequels to this book, but I haven't decided whether I will try to read them or not.

1 comment:

  1. [...] In Search of the Lost Mountains of Noah by Robert Cornuke and David Halbrook, and Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael [...]

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.