Friday, March 4

Recent Reads {Northanger Abbey}



Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - If I remember correctly, this is one of Austen's earliest novels, although it wasn't published until after her death.  I don't find it as engrossing as Pride and Prejudice - the heroine Catherine Morland is naive and a bit "blonde" ;-) but she is at least likeable.  She develops from being a sheltered and rather ignorant girl to a much wiser and self-disciplined young lady in the course of the story.  In short, while Elizabeth Bennet is already quite mature in P&P, we watch Catherine actually grow up.  Her love interest, Henry Tilney, is kind and witty, but I'm never quite sure what he sees in Catherine to attract him! It was interesting to read Peter Leithart's assessment of the novel in Morals and Miniatures, and gain a better understanding of how Austen's characters are developed.

By the same author:  Pride and Prejudice

1 comment:

  1. [...] Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.  And Sense and Sensibility is sitting on my bedside table, just waiting for me to [...]

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.