Friday, April 22

Recent Reads {Sense and Sensibility}



Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - I finished this classic over a week ago, and one of the movie versions is sitting here at my desk for me to watch. I have to admit that it took me awhile to get fully engaged in Sense and Sensibility, as I kept gravitating to some of the other books I was reading so after a few days away from it, I had to remind myself who all the characters were again. Once I was several chapters in, I was more drawn into the story and it was easier to pick up where I left off without confusion. Elinor and Marianne are likeable protagonists, with Elinor representing 'sense' and Marianne representing 'sensibility.' As Peter Leithart points out in Miniatures and Morals, the idea of 'sensibility' of Austen's time was more what we would think of as emotional and overly dramatic; everything based on feelings and an undisciplined show of them. Colonel Brandon, and to a lesser extent, Edward Ferrars are the male characters that share Elinor's tendency towards 'sense' - governing their own feelings and emotions wisely, making mature judgments, and considering their responsibilities to and feelings of others. All the other characters demonstrate excessive 'sensibility' in some way. John Dashwood is weak and spineless, thinking only of his own ease; Sir John Middleton is hospitable and cheerful, yet really doesn't consider the interests or preferences of his guests; Willoughby is a selfish player who uses others for his own gain and has little moral fiber; and the female characters are all selfish or silly and heedless of others in some way. Despite all their faults, several of the characters are quite likeable. Marianne's self-indulgent and over-dramatic nursing of her own hurts is ridiculous, - I would have liked to slap some sense into her, and yet I couldn't help sympathizing with her and hoping things would come out right for her in the end (as of course, they do). And thankfully, Marianne does get some 'sense' and maturity towards the end of the story.  Mrs Jennings is a class-less busybody, but she does have a generous heart and means well, so even as I shook my head at her nonsense, she was a character I could like. In contrast, I'm just a bit disappointed that Lucy Steele and Willoughby don't get a more obvious punishment. ;-)

By the same author: Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, The History of England

2 comments:

  1. [...] the same author: Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility google_ad_client = "pub-2602823961652054"; google_ad_width = 336; google_ad_height = 280; [...]

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.