Tuesday, August 23

Recent Reads {Child of the Mist}



Child of the Mist by Kathleen Morgan - Despite my slight disappointment in the previous Morgan novel I read, I did have this one sitting around so I read it last week.  What can I say - I can't stay away from historical fiction set in Scotland.   While still "lustier" than I think is absolutely necessary for this genre, it was toned down compared to As High As the Heavens.  In this first of a trilogy set in the Scottish Highlands of the 1500s, Anne MacGregor is pledged to marry the tanist of a rival clan in order to bring about a truce between the long-standing feud.  Anne and Niall Campbell are both resistant to the marriage for different reasons but are committed to the good of their families and clans, so they try to make the best of it.  The Campbells are suspicious and fearful of Anne, who has been suspected of witchcraft because of her healing; and Niall's position of leadership is threatened by a traitor.  Anne and Niall both face death and fierce opposition while trying to keep peace and order, and while realizing their growing genuine affection for each other.  The story is quite well-crafted, action-packed, and the Christian faith of the characters, especially Anne, is given much more importance in their actions and motivations than in the previous novel.

By the same author:  As High As the Heavens

1 comment:

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.