
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - since I was kind of on a classic novel kick, I thought I'd better include the Bronte sisters on my reading list. I have to admit it took me awhile to really get into this one. Just at the point where I was thinking to myself "is this whole book going to be about Jane being 10 years old at the boarding school?" she introduced the tenth chapter by skipping ahead several years to the time she spent as a teacher at the same school, and the following chapter finally took her to Thornfield Hall where she would meet Edward Rochester. From that point on, the novel had my full attention with the melodrama, psychology, and the unlikely romance between Jane and Rochester. I was often reminded of the type of Gothic romance that Austen satirized in Northanger Abbey - a dark secret hidden somewhere in the mansion that threatens the happiness of the lovers. There are coincidences and foreshadowings to spare, yet it all seems to "fit" and doesn't seem unbelievable at all while reading. I also noticed the contrast in Bronte's style and Austen's - Austen leaves the reader to decide what characters look like, other than the barest of descriptions, and really doesn't spend much time describing settings in detail; while Bronte goes into great detail about the appearance of characters and engages in lengthy descriptions of settings. These features are used to establish character and mood. I truly enjoyed this classic novel, and it's reminded me that I never did finish the Jasper Fforde series that stars with The Eyre Affair, and its many references to Jane and other characters from the novel!
[...] Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, and Read for the Heart by Sarah Clarkson (review still coming for this one [...]
ReplyDelete