
The Begotten by Lisa T. Bergren - This book was recommended to me by a friend at least two years ago, and has been on my to-read list ever since. I finally got around to reading it this past week, and I'm so glad I did! This is historical fiction that deals with the Church of the middle ages and spiritual gifts and calling. The setting is fourteenth century Italy, and the main characters are a noblewoman with the gift of healing, an unusual priest with the gift of wisdom, and a knight of the Church with the gift of faith. They are brought together by divine circumstances with an ancient prophetic writing and its illumination that challenges them and encourages them to use their gifts as God directs them and to trust Him alone. The story is definitely a page-turner, something of a mystery and a thriller, because these main characters are being pursued by a powerful enemy that they don't identify until very late in the book, and there is danger and intrigue all around. I found it to be inspirational as well as entertaining.
Although I do wish my friend had told me it's the first part of a trilogy! Now I have to track down the next two in the series so I can find out what happens next!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.