Friday, July 12

Recent Reads {The Spirit Well}


The Spirit Well by Stephen R Lawhead - First, I have to say that it came as a shock to me when I neared the end of this book that there are two more still to come in this series! What?! How did I not realize that earlier? On the plus side, there's two more books for me to look forward to!

Okay, in the two previous Bright Empires Novels, we met Kit Livingstone and his friend Mina. Kit's great-grandfather introduced him to the world of ley travel and through circumstances Mina got involved too. Kit and Mina were accidentally separated and Mina has been making a new and successful life for herself in medieval Prague, while Kit and his great-grandfather and other associates are travelling through other time periods. We also learned about Arthur Flinders-Petrie, known as The Man Who Is Map, a great pioneer of ley travel. As Arthur learned the intricacies of the intersections and portals of ley travel, he had a map of symbols tattooed onto his chest. After his death, the tattoo map was separated into five pieces, and ley travelers have been racing to find and decipher the pieces ever since. Some are the good guys, some are the bad guys. We've already met several bad guys, including Archelaus Burleigh and his henchmen, the Burleymen. When last we saw Kit, he was with a Stone Age tribe he thought of as the River City Clan.

Kit's Stone Age experience includes a ley line visit to a place he is sure is the Well of Souls. In The Spirit Well, he finally finds a ley (quite by accident!) that returns him to Europe at a time when he providentially meets up with Mina again. In this installment we also follow the adventures of the Flinders-Petrie descendants and their relationship to the map. Which of them can be trusted? Some are trying to protect the map and hide it, and others are trying to put it back together again. We are also introduced to a new character, Cassandra Clarke, an archaeologist. While on a dig in Arizona, she stumbles into a ley and finds herself in 1950s Damascus. Her search for answers and for the way back home leads her to the Seekers, the last of the Zetetic Society.

Once again, an action-packed blend of science fiction, history, and mythic mystery combine to make The Spirit Well an absorbing read. It took me a very long time to get through it, because I kept reading other things along the way and getting distracted. The large cast of characters sometimes needed a bit of refreshing when I'd come back to the book after taking a break, however it was only the Flinders-Petrie men that I had trouble keeping straight. The historical and Biblical references were fascinating, and there were definitely a few plot surprises along the way too. As I was reading the last couple of chapters, I kept thinking, "how is he going to wrap all of this up in just the few pages left?" and then when it became clear that there would be another cliff-hanger, I finally caught on. Yes, there are FIVE books planned for this series. I will be kept waiting until September 2013 before the fourth is published - The Shadow Lamp.

By the same author: The Skin Map; Patrick; The Pendragon Cycle: TaliesinMerlinArthurPendragon, Grail

©2008-2013 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.