Monday, September 23

Recent Reads {Pride's Prejudice}


Pride's Prejudice by Misty Dawn Pulsipher - I'm not entirely sure, but I think this modern day take on Pride & Prejudice is intended to be young adult fiction. In any case, it was surprisingly enjoyable! I definitely appreciated that it was a modern romance that stayed clean and that the characters had high moral standards. Yet it wasn't "preachy" as if it was attempting to force some moral point on the reader.

Beth Pride is a college student who meets young businessman William Darcy at a charity fundraiser dance when neither of them are having a very good day. Just as in Austen's original, each of them form some first impressions that aren't accurate and lead to continued misunderstandings and prejudice. Beth feels that William insulted and humiliated her, and she is unwilling to forgive and forget, or to accept that he may be a much nicer guy than she's given him credit for. As it turns out, Beth's roommate and best friend is soon in a relationship with William's best friend, so the two find themselves in each other's company frequently. Beth struggles to set aside her prejudicial attitude about William as he tries to get her attention and win her affections. Although the main character motivations were rather unclear at times and I noticed some minor plot holes, on the whole this was a cute and clean love story with characters that were modern yet had the noble and honorable character traits of Austen's Darcy and Elizabeth.

©2008-2013 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.