Friday, February 20

Recent Reads - Ticker

This post may contain affiliate links. 
Ticker
Ticker by Lisa Mantchev - Penny Farthing has a clockwork heart. The doctor who invented it saved her life, but at what cost to others? Dr Warwick is awaiting trial for murder, because his testing of improvements to the Ticker and other Augmentations have killed dozens of people. On the last day of his trial, there are protests throughout Bazalgate, and an explosion at the Farthings' factory that nearly kills Penny's brother Nic. When Penny and Nic finally make it home, they discover that their parents have been kidnapped, and they receive a ransom note demanding all the research for Augmentation.

With the help of friends Violet and Sebastian, and the head of the security force army, Marcus Kingsley, Penny and Nic try to stay ahead of the mysterious enemies and unravel the mystery of who has kidnapped their parents and why.

This is the first steampunk novel I've read, and I have to say I loved it from the opening sentence. Well, from my first look at the cover art, actually! Bazalgate is set in an alternate universe that is a charming - and surprisingly believable - combination of Victorian industrial and futuristic mechanical world. The story is told from Penny's point of view, and she is delightfully plucky and determined character, with a witty and slightly ironic voice. The mystery was detailed enough to keep me guessing even when I had a good hunch as to what was going on, and the romantic elements were sweet and clean, yet with an undercurrent of powerful emotion and passion. This was another occasion when I absolutely fell in love with a book that is clearly intended for a young adult audience. It is so well-written and clever that I can heartily recommend it to adult and teen readers alike. In fact, I have already encouraged my young teen daughter to read it when she has the chance, and I myself am hoping to be able to read more by this author.


©2008-2015 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.