Tuesday, February 9

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - Into the Whirlwind

This post contains affiliate links. 

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at A Daily Rhythm. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
"Mollie, we both saw the courthouse burn to the ground, and there are no more city records to prove who owns what. Your apartment is gone. There is no way we can ever prove what you had because every record of the transaction no longer exists."
"I still have it."
~Into the Whirlwind by Elizabeth Camden, page 89


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

CHICAGO
OCTOBER 8, 1871

    A wall of fire towered over Mollie. The city of Chicago had been burning for hours, the scorching wind stirring up firestorms that barreled down the narrow streets and illuminated the night sky. It was getting hard to breathe. Smoke and ash hung in the air, coating Mollie's throat until her thirst grew more painful than the blistering heat. The crush of people jostling to flee northward made it hard to even keep standing.
   The city Mollie loved so well was being destroyed as flames engulfed buildings, weakening them until they collapsed into piles of rubble, blocking escape routes and sending throngs of people into greater panic. By tomorrow, Chicago would be nothing more than a smoldering ruin.

Into the Whirlwind by Elizabeth Camden





Here's the blurb:

As owner of the 57th Illinois Watch Company, Mollie Knox's future looks bright until the night the legendary Great Chicago Fire destroys her beloved city. With her world crumbling around her, Mollie will do whatever it takes to rebuild in the aftermath of the devastating fire.

Zach Kazmarek, an influential attorney for one of Chicago's finest department stores, is a force to be reckoned with among the city's most powerful citizens. Bold and shrewd, he's accustomed to getting exactly what he wants--until he meets Mollie Knox, the beguiling businesswoman just beyond his reach.

As the people of Chicago race to rebuild, Mollie comes face-to-face with the full force of Zack's influence. Zack believes this may be his chance to win her, but can Mollie ever accept this man and his whirlwind effect on her life, especially with her treasured company on the line?

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/


 

13 comments:

  1. As I read the intro, I was thinking, this must be the Great Chicago Fire (based on the cover) and it was. I think I'd have to read further, but I'm interested. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Sounds like Mollie has a lot to figure out.

    I love historical fiction and would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete

  3. This one does sound engaging...and powerful. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE PASSENGER”

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! I remember reading about the Chicago Fire before, although not in much detail. I would like to get to know Mollie more and read this one. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Historical fiction about the Great Chicago Fire? I like the intro and would keep reading. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not an place/era I usually read, but hard to resist with the Great Chicago Fire as a backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like books where the author sets the fictional story in a real event. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
    My Tuesday post features THE GIVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure why, but I just was not able to connect with this author's writing style. It just feels laborious and stodgy. This is my mileage of course. I truly hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great TT! I'm not sure I'd keep reading (romance just isn't really my cup of tea), but it sounds like a cool read nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Elizabeth's books and this is one I have yet to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this sounds like a wonderful read. I love period stories about Chicago, and the characters, really sound interesting. Here's my intro and teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-1aM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this teaser! Sounds like Mollie has quite a bit to figure out...
    Thanks for visiting The Coffee Pot Review. :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.