Tuesday, October 25

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - Shadow of the Storm

This post contains affiliate links. 
Teaser Tuesday | BooksAndABeat.com

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
Without preamble, I spoke out. "I want to become a midwife." The release of saying the words aloud rushed like a cool stream through my veins, even as indecision swelled in my gut.
~Shadow of the Storm (Out From Egypt)by Connilyn Cossette, page 68



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.

SHIRA


17 Tammuz
4th Month Out from Egypt

  Wild drumbeats rumbled through the ground like distant thunder, pulsing in defiant rhythms and vibrating the hollows of my chest. My fingertips echoed the beat against my knee until a glare from my mother across the tent stilled their dance.
   "Shira, finish your work." Her bone needle resumed its skillful motion as she bent her head to peer at her embroidery. The dim oil lamp highlighted the silvery strands that seemed to thread her dark hair more each day - a trend that had begun a few years ago, when my father died against an Egyptian whipping post.
   I plucked at the black goat's wool in my lap, picking out thorny burrs, specks, and shards of leaves. The fibers snagged against my thirsty palms. Unable to latch my attention on the tedious chore, I had been cleaning the same batch for most of the afternoon while my mind wandered up the rugged mountain path that Mosheh, our leader, had climbed forty days ago.




Here's the blurb:

In the darkness of the storm's shadow, only truth can light her way.

Having escaped Egypt with the other Hebrews during the Exodus, Shira is now living in freedom at the foot of Mount Sinai. When the people rebel by worshipping a golden idol, the ensuing chaos gives Shira an unexpected opportunity to assist a midwife. When the experience awakens a new desire in her, she defies her mother's wish for her to continue in the family weaving trade and pursues her heart's calling as an apprentice midwife.

But when a delivery goes horribly wrong, Shira finds herself in an impossible situation and bound to a man who betrayed her. As contention between the Hebrew tribes and foreigners fans the flames of another dangerous rebellion, Shira comes face to face with the long-hidden pain of her past. Can she let go of all that has defined her to embrace who she truly is and believe in a hopeful future?

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. Very intense! And I can't help but feel sorry for the women, for that tedious work.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “THE LAST GOOD GIRL”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the unusual description: "thirsty palms." This sounds like a fascinating book. I seem to be drawn to stories about midwives, so this one definitely appeals to me.
    My Tuesday post features THREE WEEKS WITH MY BROTHER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely would keep reading. This is a new to me author and the cover is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so much for me this one but a great descriptive passage. I can visualise it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bet I'd keep reading. This is on my radar after coming across it the other day.

    My TT from Extinct

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very visual intro but, not sure it's for me. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser! Here is my TT: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/teaser-tuesday3908935

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.