Thursday, May 31

Monthly Bookshelf Review - May 2018

This post contains affiliate links.

May's Books Completed and Reviewed

The Accidental Guardian by Mary Connealy - Despite starting out with a wagon train attacked by outlaws, this was a rather light read, and a fast-developing romance. (Read my full review HERE.)
There'd be no vengeance today. He needed to tend babies and women and dodge diaper-changing duty with every ounce of his cunning. That'd keep him mighty busy for who could say how long.



No Less Days by Amanda G. Stevens - A contemporary fantasy in which a man who can't die finds companionship and new dangers when he finally connects with the few other 'immortals' in the world. (Read my full review HERE.)
If only he could include the others in his explanation, but that wouldn't be right; and why should she believe that five people on the earth couldn't die if she refused to believe in one?



As Death Draws Near (A Lady Darby Mystery) by Anna Lee Huber - Kiera and Gage investigate murders in an abbey in Ireland, against the backdrop of religious and political unrest. (Read my full review HERE.)
It wasn't long before the mother superior and Mother Paul arrived, peering around Bree through the gap in the wall. From my position standing solemnly next to Mother Fidelis's body, I could see the pale wide-eyed strain on their faces, the lines of grief.

 

A Treacherous Curse (A Veronica Speedwell Mystery) by Deanna Reybourn - Stoker may be a suspect when a member of an Egyptian expedition team is missing and presumed dead under mysterious circumstances. Veronica and Stoker are prevailed upon to solve the case in an effort to protect his name from further scandal. (Read my full review HERE.)
I rose the next day in a state of decided satisfaction. We had scarcely begun our investigation into John de Morgan's disappearance, but we had clearly agitated someone if we were being followed.




During May I continued reading:

Downsizing The Family Home: What to Save, What to Let Go by Marni Jameson - I didn't read much in this how-to book. In fact, I considered marking it as shelved, but I do hope to continue with it soon.
Don't be the family storage locker. Mary Kay adds that a recurring theme she hears from empty nesters is that they wish their adult kids would have claimed their stuff sooner.



During May I started reading:

Delilah: Treacherous Beauty by Angela Hunt - the story of Samson and Delilah told from the imagined point of view of the lady herself.
I needed a champion who could defeat the Philistines with nothing to lose but his life . . . I needed Samson the strongman, but after so many years I had no idea where to find him. And I could think of no reason why he would want to help me.
 


 The Captured Bride: Daughters of the Mayflower - book 3 by Michelle Griep - Recently started reading, so not much I can say yet about this one. Mercy Lytton's unique upbringing has earned her a place as a scout during the French and Indian War.
The accusation crept in like a rash, hot and uncomfortable. Of course she did not want to see it, because if she did, she'd have to look long and hard at her own life.



Mother-Daughter Duet by Cheri Fuller and Ali Plum - I just downloaded this book and really have only read the introduction.
It's common for a mother and daughter's interaction to be rocky during the transition from adolescence and the twenties and even through adulthood. The mom-daughter connection is an intricate, close relationship that is static and changing at the same time.




Coming Up in June!



This post will be linked at:
©2008-2018 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


6 comments:

  1. Haven't read any of these books - but you have definitely got me interested! Thanks for some great reading choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Downsizing the Family Home a few months ago. Not all of it was applicable, but much of it was. And this in particular was helpful: "Don't be the family storage locker." I really needed to hear that; it's probably the reason I picked up the book in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Accidental Guardian totally captured me! I love when a man inherits a child in whatever way. Also The Captured Bride sounds great too! Unique upbringing! I wonder what that was exactly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kym I like the sound of The Accidental Guardian - just read your review. I enjoy reading of those times - although I'd be useless living in those times, I'm too soft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice reading month.

    Gorgeous covers.

    Have a great June!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite an interesting list! I wonder how far the one about Delilah veers from the Biblical account. We were just discussing orphan trains at church recently - some had never heard of them.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.