Tuesday, October 23

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - Shelter of the Most High

This post contains affiliate links. 

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia at The Purple Booker. To play along, just do the following:

  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
Not a slave.
The man whose name I now knew was Eitan had been adamant on that point. His family did not consider Prezi and me slave, but only guests in their family inn. The relief was overwhelming.
~Shelter of the Most High (Cities of Refuge) by Connilynn Cossette, page 84


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by I'd Rather Be At The Beach. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.

Sofea


Island of Sicily
1388 BC

The pulse of the sea pressed me forward, urging my body deeper into its embrace. I obeyed the nudge and kicked my legs, peering through water-rippled light at the hidden world inside this secret cave. Sea grass slithered along my skin, half-heartedly grasping at my ankles. I fluttered my toes as I cut through the water like an arrow flung from a bow, air bubbling from my nose with measure practiced over every one of my sixteen years.

Sensing that I had cleared the entrance, I allowed my body to float upward until my head broke the surface. The voice of the waters amplified and echoed within the surprisingly large enclosed area, a shush of constant sound at once soothing and exhilarating to one born of the sea. I can say I was born of the sea, for it was into this blue expanse I was delivered, with the clouds above to oversee my birth.



Here's the blurb:

The daughter of a pagan high priest, Sofea finds solace from her troubles in the freedom of the ocean. But when marauders attack her village on the island of Sicily, she and her cousin are taken across the sea to the shores of Canaan.

Eitan has lived in Kedesh, a City of Refuge, for the last eleven years, haunted by a tragedy in his childhood and chafing at the boundaries placed on him. He is immediately captivated by Sofea, but revealing his most guarded secret could mean drawing her into the danger of his past.

As threats from outside the walls loom and traitors are uncovered within, Sofea and Eitan are plunged into the midst of a murder plot. Will they break free from the shackles of the past in time to uncover the betrayal and save their lives and the lives of those they love?

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2018 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm not sure I'll hunt it down, but I would certainly keep reading.


    Mine: http://www.aliceaudrey.com/?p=16322

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to read a bit more to decide. A gorgeous cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good one. I haven't read a historical fiction story set in this time period for quite a while. This week I am featuring Wolf Rising by Paige Dixon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure this would be for me, but I'd read a little more to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo... I love the sound of this one! Thank you for sharing it:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds different, I am definitely intrigued. Have a lovely week!

    Here's my Tuesday post - http://bit.ly/TeaserTues10

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting opener! I think this is one I might look into more.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.