Saturday, March 30

Scripture and a Snapshot - An Example


Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

~John 13:14-17~


I don't like feet. Chubby little baby feet are adorable, of course, and I know I kissed the toes of my newborns. But once we start walking, our feet become rather yucky. I don't want to touch anybody else's feet, and I don't want anybody touching my feet. So I'll be very honest - the few times the church has done an actual foot washing service, like where congregants physically wash each other's feet - I wasn't there. Nope. 

But this instruction from Jesus isn't specifically about the action of taking a washcloth to another person's feet. Jesus Christ, the King of Kings, did the work of a lowly servant. He willingly did a disgusting and degrading job in order to show love to his followers. And then reminded us that since we are certainly not greater than he is, we had better follow his example and serve others. Never thinking of ourselves as "too good" to do certain jobs, or expecting to always be served as if we are so great. Have a humble servant heart that serves others and is okay with the least glamorous position in the group. 




Thank you for joining Scripture & A Snapshot. Leave a link to your own post sharing a Scripture and a Snapshot. Take time to visit some of the other links and bless each other with comments.
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter
I also link up at Selah, hosted by A Spirit of Simplicity.


This post is also linked at 40 Days of Seeking Him, hosted by Day by Day in Our World.


©2008-2019 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1 comment:

  1. I am also squeamish about that verse and the related command. Every year around this time I look at it and marvel at Christ's humility.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.