Wednesday, September 25

Share Four Somethings - September 2019

This post contains affiliate links.


How is it nearly the end of September already? Crazy how quickly this month has gone by, but I think it seemed that way because it was so very busy. Before the month is completely over I'm going to look back and choose Something Loved, Something Said, Something Learned, and Something Read to share.

Something Loved

The first days. Last year was the last time we could have a First Day photo for our homeschool, but I got a couple of first day photos this year. My first day teaching at our high school co-op, and Kennady's first day at college. And a bonus - her first day driving herself to school!






I loved it and yet . . . it's also bittersweet because that is my baby girl. And she's basically grown up. So while I'm proud of her and excited for her new adventures, there's part of me that's secretly fighting back tears every now and again because my kids are grown-ups and it's only a matter of time until they move out or move away. I actually enjoy the quiet and having the house to myself a couple days a week while the guys are all at work and she's at school, but I suspect that will turn to loneliness sometimes. Until they do move out, I'm loving the time I do have with them and rejoicing that they enjoy being here and that their friends are like family here too.

And related to her starting college, something else we loved was finding out that she'd received a generous music scholarship from the college. So far, she loves college - or most of it! Not every class can be a favorite, obviously, but she doesn't have any this semester that she truly dislikes. 


Something Said

If you are living in a beautiful place where you can enjoy sunrise and sunset, then you are living like a lord.  ~Nathan Phillips





Something Learned

I'm teaching two classes at our homeschool co-op this year - High School Writing and High School Literature. For the Literature course I'm getting to read classic novels that I hadn't read, or that I've all but forgotten. We started the year with Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain. It's one that I read a long time ago and only vaguely remember, so it's a treat to read again. I've been learning more about Mark Twain, and about the setting and background, and enjoying the lively discussions with the young ladies taking the class. Our next novel is War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, which I last read when I was in high school. 

Kennady is also talking to me about her English and Music Theory classes, and occasionally even consulting me as she does her homework, so I get a chance to test my memory of all the music theory I studied so long ago and to relearn a few things. When she passes the point where I left off, I hope she'll teach me! 


Something Read

I completed only two books in September, and added the review of one finished in late August. You can see more about my reading in my Monthly Bookshelf Review for September 2019, which will be posted in a day or two.

The Butterfly Recluse by Therese Heckencamp
A Study In Scarlet Women (The Lady Sherlock Series) by Sherry Thomas
Britfield & the Lost Crown by C.R. Stewart (review hadn't been posted as of last month)

   




This post will be linked at Share Four Somethings hosted by HeatherGerwing.com


 ©2008-2019 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


2 comments:

  1. I like the quote and your sunrise/sunset photos. I now live in the mountains and love watching the sun rise and set behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like teaching at the co-op is going well. I love learning the second time around so much better! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.