Tuesday, December 29

Monthly Bookshelf Review - December 2020

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 




December's Books Completed and Reviewed

To Dwell Among Cedars by Connilyn Cossette -  A young orphan girl runs away from her Philistine homeland and follows the Ark of the Covenant to Israel. There she is taken in by a Levite family and tries to find her place as tensions rise all around her. A beautiful novel of grace, acceptance, and second chances. (Read my full review HERE)


Silas Marner by George Eliot - I read this classic along with the students in my high school Literature class. The lonely and bitter weaver despairs after his hoard of gold is stolen, but he takes in a little orphan girl who softens his heart again. (Read my full review HERE)

 

Everyday Confetti by Karen Ehman & Glynnis Whitwer - I still need to write a wrap-up/review for this book that I read as part of an online book club for the theme "celebrations". It's an idea book geared especially for parents with suggestions for celebrating special events and making memories all throughout the year.



During December I started reading:

The Christmas Bargain by Shanna Hatfield - Luke Granger settles the debt of a ne'er-do-well farmer by taking his daughter in as his housekeeper rather than see her further mistreated. Luke and Philamena enter a marriage of convenience, but it isn't long before they are both falling in love.


Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare - This is what my Literature class is currently working on and plans to wrap up in January!



During December I continued reading:

A Pretty Deceit by Anna Lee Huber - I'll finish this one very soon! Verity and Sidney are hunting for evidence sufficient to stop the suspected traitor Lord Ardmore when thefts and a murder at the estate of Verity's aunt also claim their attention.
 


Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks by Diana Butler Bass - I was very close to finished with this one at the beginning of the month but have set it aside temporarily. Will finish soon! It's a thoughtful look at what gratitude really is, and how we understand and express it in different ways. 



 During December I shelved:

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp - I got started on this classic about living a life of gratitude, but had to set it aside when life got too busy. I did manage to renew it from the library, so hopefully I can get it finished at the beginning of the new year!




Coming Up in January!

I really have no idea! I've got several books stacked on my bedside table I want to get to, and we'll be starting on the next novel in the Literature class in a couple weeks, but I'm not sure what I will tackle next.


On my blogs recently . . . 

Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:



And on my homeschool blog, Homeschool Coffee Break:



This post will be linked at the December 2020 Wrap-Up Roundup and Giveaway hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction; (and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.)

 

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

©2008-2020 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. 

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.