This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
Okay, I can explain. Maybe? I have not posted even one review in October . . . so far. I do expect to have at least one review ready to publish before the month is completely over. What happened? I've been just as busy as always, and my reading has been a little lower on the priority list than many of the other things I've been doing. And then, as if my reading pile wasn't stacked high enough already, I received three review books at once - all scheduled for sometime in the first week of November. Which is when I'll be on vacation! What did I get myself into? So that is my best attempt to explain why my bookshelf review is so lopsided this month.
October's Books Completed and Reviewed
None!! A couple coming soon though!
The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick - Once again, I'm reading this entertaining middle school level novel along with students in my co-op fiction writing class.
The Deadly Hours by Susanna Kearsley, C.S. Harris, Anna Lee Huber, and Christine Trent - An anthology of mystery novellas about a cursed gold watch and its journey through the years. Anna Lee Huber's contribution to the story features characters from the Lady Darby series, and was my reason for reading. So I've read the first two stories (Huber's was the second) and put it on pause while I catch up on other things.
Lost in Darkness (Of Monsters and Men) by Michelle Griep - A Gothic-style romance centered around an aspiring travel writer, Amelia, as she puts her dreams on hold to assist her brother through an experimental procedure that may restore his disfigured face and body. The doctor's assistant, Graham, develops an interest in Amelia. The twist? A new neighbor by the name of Mary Godwin Shelley . . . and Amelia's brother may provide inspiration for Mary's writing project.
Trick or Treat: A History of Halloween by Lisa Morton - doing a quick skimming-style read-through of this summary of Halloween's history to wrap up the Online Book Club themes.
Behind Love's Wall by Carrie Fancett Pagels - Barely starting this next review book that ties a modern story to a historical one. These two stories take place at the historic Grand Hotel.
During October I continued reading:
As Death Draws Near by Anna Lee Huber - Kiera and Gage are called away from their idyllic honeymoon to investigate a murder at an Irish abbey. (Trying desperately to keep up with the Lady Darby Read-Along group on Facebook as we continue reading together through the series)
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell - Still plugging away little by little at this classic. It's so good, but I just haven't had the time!
During October I shelved:
Speechless: Controlling Words, Controlling Minds by Michael Knowles - To be resumed as soon as I can find the time!
At the Edge of the Orchard: A Novel by Tracy Chevalier - Enjoyed this, but I wasn't nearly finished and I don't know when I'll have time.
A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty
Come Back to Me by Jody Hedlund
Carved in Stone by Elizabeth Camden
An Unexpected Peril by Deanna Raybourn
On my blogs recently . . .
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
And on HS Coffee Break:
I Spy posts (#39-#42)
This post will be linked at the October 2021 Monthly Wrap-Up Round-up Link-up and Giveaway hosted by Feed Your Fiction Addiction; and at the weekly reading list meme hosted at Book Date.
©2008-2021 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.