This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
After a couple weeks break for the holidays, I'm back to share some teasers. I need to get going on this book, because I'd intended to post my review this week, but it's not ready yet.
***************
"Thanks again," she called when Tilda finally took the hint and headed down the path.
"I'll check on you later," Tilda shouted above the rain.
Chloe waved and shut the door.
At last. Now, where was I? Oh, yes. Funeral or party?
~from page 56 of High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt
Walk through Doors to the Past via a series of historical stories of romance and adventure.
Successful historical mystery writer Chloe Whitfield comes to Ca' d'Zan in Sarasota, Florida, to research her next novel. Chloe's fascination with the circus in rooted in family stories of her great-grandmother, Lucinda Conroy, who reportedly was a trapeze artist of some renown. She's heard hints of scandal, and perhaps larceny, but no details. Chloe's grandmother - rumored to be Lucinda's only offspring - was raised in an orphanage and never knew her mother.
Intrigued as she is, Chloe has no intent of writing about Lucinda until she sees a poster featuring Lucinda as the star performer for a 70th birthday gala for John Ringling in May of 1936. From there, the trail goes cold. Who was Lucinda, and what happened to her?
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.
***************
Sweat beaded Chloe Whitfield's forehead and soaked her neck. Her loose-fitting shift-style dress was a mass of wrinkles. Who had ever thought linen was a good idea for clothing? She'd chosen her outfit with the thought of wanting to present herself as the professional and successful woman she was.
But why had she bothered?
~From the beginning of High-Wire Heartbreak by Anna Schmidt
Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.
*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.
***************
First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower
*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.
©2008-2022 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.





I read High-Wire Heartbreak! It was so good. Nit what I expected but very good.
ReplyDeleteMy first line is from Never Leave Me by Jody Hedlund:
I’m dying, and we can’t change that.” Even though Ellen Creighton spoke as softly and gently as possible, she could do nothing to soften the harshness of the truth.
That one is on my to-read list, as soon as I have the time!
DeleteHigh-Wire Heartbreak sounds intriguing from the description! I can relate to the opening--how often I've wandered that too about the outfit I chose to wear when I have something important to wear it too. I hope you are enjoying this one!
ReplyDeleteInteresting. Sounds like a good read!
ReplyDeleteI love this book and look forward to reading it. Happy Friday! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-33-fresh-scars.html
ReplyDelete"Funeral or party" what a funny, odd choice. Enjoy! My Friday quotes
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty cover! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday!
ReplyDeleteI'm currently reading A Heart Adrift by Laura Frantz. It is AWESOME!
I'm just beginning chapter 23, so I will share a line from there.
"Henri was on the verge of saying nay to the proposed mission, and he sensed that the governor's council, a body of astute, shrewd men, knew it."
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
I like Laura Frantz's books - sounds like a good one!
DeleteI just finished reading this one yesterday! Such a good book!
ReplyDeleteThe book I featured this week is Pomegranate Lane by Donna Anuszczyk but I'm currently reading With Love, Wherever You Are by Dandi Daley Mackall. I'm just starting it so I'll share the first line from chapter 2 where I am currently: "Frank Daley checked the chart at the foot of the old man's hospital bed." I hope you have a wonderful reading weekend!
This sounds interesting, and I love the cover! I’m featuring A Stranger’s Game by Colleen Coble on my blog, but I just started reading Stone by Ronie Kendig so I’ll share the first line here: “Some days were meant to test a man; others meant to undo him.” Have a great weekend and happy reading!
ReplyDeleteI think we can all relate to that opening line!
DeleteI just finished High-Wire Heartbreak last night. It was good and Anna Schmidt was a new-to-me author! I'm currently reading Stone by Ronie Kendig. The first line is "Some days were meant to test a man; others meant to undo him."
ReplyDeleteI love this cover!! My first line comes from Never Leave Me by Jody Hedlund: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/01/07/first-line-friday-never-leave-me/
ReplyDeleteHappy Reading!