This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
I straightened in surprise.
"I don't mean to imply he's a thief," he hastened to explain. "At least, of anything more than a woman's virtue. But . . . he's taken things before."
I hesitated to say the words, but the question had to be asked. "You mean the dagger?"
~at 56% in A Brush with Shadows (A Lady Darby Mystery)
by Anna Lee Huber
Sebastian Gage returns home to battle the ghosts of his past and prevent them from destroying his future with Kiera . . .
July 1831. It's been fifteen years since Sebastian Gage has set foot in Langstone Manor. Though he has shared little with his wife, Lady Kiera Darby, about his past, she knows that he planned never to return to the place of so many unhappy childhood memories. But when an urgent letter from his grandfather reaches them in Dublin, Ireland, and begs Gage to visit, Kiera convinces him to go.
All is not well at Langstone Manor. Gage's grandfather, the Viscount Tavistock, is gravely ill, and Gage's cousin Alfred has suddenly vanished. He wandered out into the moors and never returned. The Viscount is convinced someone or something other than the natural hazards of the moors is to blame for Alfred's disappearance. And when Alfred's brother Rory goes missing, Kiera and Gage must concede he may be right. Now, they must face the ghosts of Gage's past, discover the truth behind the local superstitions, and see beyond the tricks being played by their very own eyes to expose what has happened to Gage's family before the moors claim yet another victim . . .
The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.
***************
The devil's boots don't creak.
-SCOTTISH PROVERB
JULY 1831
DARTMOOR, ENGLAND
The first time I laid eyes on Langstone Manor, I could not blame my husband for having stayed away for over fifteen years.
~From the beginning of A Brush with Shadows (A Lady Darby Mystery)
Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.
*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.
***************
First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower
*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.
©2008-2022 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.





Someday I will read this series. I love her Verity Kent books. I know I will love this series too. I hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteI have not heard of this before. I hope you enjoy it! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-song-of-silence.html
ReplyDeleteLove that Scottish proverb!! Happy weekend!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good one - it's all new to me. Thanks for the intro!
ReplyDeleteHappy Friday!
ReplyDeleteI’m currently reading Mulberry Hollow by Denise Hunter. I am really enjoying it! I’m just starting chapter 7, so I’ll share from there.
“It was amazing how much could change over a weekend.”
Truer words! LOL!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with relaxing reading time.
Wouldn't it be fun and exciting to be able to explore such a place? My Friday Quotes are here
ReplyDeleteThis weekend, I'm reading Their Unbreakable Bond by Deb Kastner. The first line is: It was the Be Back Shortly sign on the door of the gift shop, with an arrow pointing toward the barn, that had sent Stone Keller in this direction.
ReplyDeleteOn my First Line Friday blog post, I featured To Treasure an Heiress by Rosenanna M. White: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/01/21/to-treasure-an-heiress/
Happy Weekend!
My first line is from Chapter 1 of To Treasure an Heiress by Roseanna White:
ReplyDelete11 July. Samson, Isles of Scilly
“Beth Tremayne crept silently through the creaking doorway of the abandoned cottage as the first stokes of dawn painted the sky over the islands.”