Friday, January 13

Friday Fun - The Friday 56 and First Lines for January 13, 2023

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 


This week I'm featuring lines from a YA novel I've just started on my Kindle. I've had it for a little while, and can't remember why I purchased it, but it's quirky and interesting so far. Tell me what you think - have you read it?

***************

Hook grinned at Wendy Darling's report - a wicked grin that promised vengeance for the king, vengeance for England, and vengeance for his own right hand all at once. Whatever game she thought she was playing, she would be no match for him.

~at 56% of The Wendy by Erin Michelle Sky and Steven Brown


When the world doesn't want
you to be who you are,
you must become more yourself
than you knew you could be.

London. 1789. More than anything in the world, Wendy Darling wants to be the captain of a ship, but women aren't allowed in the Royal Navy. When she learns the Home Office is accepting a handful of women into its ranks, she jumps at the chance, joining the fight against the most formidable threat England has ever faced. Magic.

But the secret service isn't exactly what she hoped. Accompanied by a reimagined cast of the original Peter Pan, Wendy soon discovers that her dreams are as far away as ever, that choosing sides isn't as simple as she thought, and that the only man who isn't blinded by her gender . . . might be her nation's greatest enemy.
 


The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.

***************

By the year 1780, London was bursting at the seams. Almost a million people had been stuffed into every nook and cranny, and a good number of these had no idea where they had come from. Nestled in baskets and swaddled in rags, they had appeared overnight on the doorsteps of almshouses all over the city.

~From the beginning of The Wendy by Erin Michelle Sky and Steven Brown




Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.

*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.

***************
RimSP button

First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower

*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.

***************

And here is the weekly bookish question in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  

This Week's Question: Are there any new books you're excited to read in 2023?

My Answer: I don't watch for new releases very often, so I'm not usually right on top of all the newest books about to hit the shelves. I do usually pre-order novels from a couple of favorite authors (Anna Lee Huber, Connilyn Cossette, and Deanna Raybourn) as soon as I know about them, but I've fallen behind and haven't yet read the most recent releases from those ladies, even though I own them! Of those, the next one I plan to read is A Perilous Perspective by Anna Lee Huber. The next in that series, A Fatal Illusion, will release this summer and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it! The next novel in Deanna Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell series will release in spring, and there's a new Connilyn Cosette novel expected in late summer.

Since I also occasionally review books, that's where most of my brand new releases come from, but I'm not always familiar with the books or even the authors when they become available.



 ©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.








15 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this one! I hope you enjoy it! Have a wonderful weekend, is it snowing where you are at? It is here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we got a little bit of pellet-like snow yesterday, started just as we were headed out of town for the weekend

      Delete
  2. My first line is from Within These Walls of Sorrow by Amanda Barratt
    Prelude. Zosia Krakow, Poland
    The sun shone the day I married Ryszard Lewandowski.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if this is for me. I love retellings but haven't had the best of luck with Peter Pan ones. Hope you enjoy it though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying it so far! I think having bad luck with retellings in the past might be why I've had this one so long before actually reading it.

      Delete
  4. Interesting quotes. This could go either way for me. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet my daughter would like this one as she really loves a good retelling story. I think I might like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to read a book set in those days, so far back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are enjoying The Wendy. I am definitely curious about that one. I love re-tellings an I like the premise of this one.

    I am behind in both my Raybourn and Huber reading sadly. I am looking forward to catching up and eventually reading their latest books also!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so far I'm really enjoying it and I think it's very well-written and a good balance of the familiar story and re-imagined characters and plot points.

      Hopefully we'll both be caught up on Raybourn and Huber soon!

      Delete
  8. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading What Happens Next by Christina Suzann Nelson. It's a great story!
    "Dora placed the flyer in a box and covered it with the lid. She looked around the house, so empty now that Paul had moved from their spare bedroom to an apartment downtown."
    I hope you have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Wendy sounds pretty spectacular. I'm going to have to check it out. Have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have so many books I want to read this year I can't add them all 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I am not sure if this one is for me, I love the cover and those lines about being more you below the cover ...
    My post is here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm currently reading Alaskan Mountain Search by Sarah Varland. The first line is: "It was never truly dark at this time of year--mid June--in the land of the midnight sun." Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.