This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee.
Ending a novel is almost like putting a child to sleep―it can't be done abruptly. ~Colm Tóibín
That's kind of where I am with Harvest of Rubies right now. I'm really close to the end, but I don't really want it to end. The good news is that there's a second book that will pick up Sarah's story, so I guess I will have to buy it and keep reading! I have little time or energy for reading except during my lunch break at work, so I'm not reading very much these days.
July's Books Completed and Reviewed
Once Upon A Prince by Rachel Hauck - Susanna is cautious about getting into a relationship so soon after her long-time boyfriend broke up with her, but her connection to the charming Nate is undeniable. But they're just friends, right? Especially once she discovers he's a prince, she knows it can't possibly be more than that. Nathaniel is falling for this ordinary American girl, but his future is determined by his duty to his kingdom. (Read my review HERE.)
During July I started reading:
Harvest of Rubies by Tessa Afshar - Sarah feels valued as the chief scribe to the queen of Persia, and is devastated when the queen "rewards" her by arranging a match with a nobleman. Though their marriage started out with disaster and mistrust, Sarah finds friends in her husband's household, and an enemy as well. Can she also find a way to be happy and to do good to her husband?
During July I continued reading:
Sisters of Fortune by Anna Lee Huber - I got started on this historical novel featuring two sisters and their entourage as they set out on the Titanic, but put it on the backburner while I was engrossed with another novel. I seem to be able to concentrate only on one at a time these days.
Find Momo Across Europe by Andrew Knapp - This is a photography book, so it's more perusing photos than reading, but it's a really interesting book to browse a little at a time and enjoy the scenery and peek into various countries while hunting for the dog featured in each photo. I admit I kind of forgot about it but I need to 'officially' finish it!
Where My Books Took Me in July . . . Here's where I've traveled through the pages during the month, along with One Word to sum up the ones I finished.
Once Upon A Prince started in coastal Georgia, but movee to the fictional kingdom of Brighton, which is in Europe. I think maybe it's an island nation north of the UK.
One Word: fairy-tale
Harvest of Rubies takes place in ancient Persia.
Sisters of Fortune is mostly set on the Atlantic Ocean.
Find Momo Across Europe is all over Europe, of course, but I especially loved the photos from Greece.
Coming Up in August!
I'm limiting myself to one or two books in this section, because what's "up next" changes often, and I'm reading more slowly. This one has been sitting in the "next" position on my bedside table for awhile.
The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa - I finally purchased this book that's been on my wishlist.
A Deceptive Composition by Anna Lee Huber - I'd pre-ordered this so it was a nice surprise to have it arrive, but now I need to get started reading it!
On my blogs recently . . .
Besides the reviews, here on Just A Second you'll find:
And on A Fresh Cup of Coffee:
This post will be linked at the current BookWorms Monthly link-up hosted by At Home A Lot; and at Share Your Shelf hosted by Slices of Life,
©2008-2024 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.











Great July shelf Kym. I'm always on the lookout for reviews and recommendations.
ReplyDeleteVisiting today from Share Your Shelf #15
xo
Find Momo Across Europe sounds like so much fun. I’m going to check it out.
ReplyDeleteHarvest of Rubies certainly sounds like a good read. I find it interesting that you are savouring it. If I'm enjoying a book, I read faster! (I must admit I do always slightly regret it when I've finished a good book, but I can't resist.)
ReplyDeleteI love the line about ending books and putting children to sleep!
ReplyDeleteFind Momo looks adorable, it's like where's wally if you just want to see a cute dog instead 😂
I hope august is a good reading month for you :)
I'm always torn about ending a good book-- I want to know how it ends and see everything all wrapped up but yet I hate to see it end because what if the next book I pick up isn't as good? These all do sound so good though.
ReplyDelete