Tuesday, March 4

Recent Reads {Founding Mothers}

One of the main reasons I thought to add a second blog was to keep some notes about books I've read, and books on my to-read list.  This is the first "review" I wrote for the xanga blog that I've now all but abandoned.



Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts.  I've read this one twice now and really enjoyed it.  This is history, but in an easy conversational style, and will almost certainly be on the required reading list for my daughter when she reaches high school age.  I'm very interested in history anyway, and historical novels are one of my favorite genres, so of course this title appealed to me.  Roberts introduces the women of the Revolution - those who were mothers, wives, and daughters of the founding fathers - telling their stories with quotes from their letters and anecdotes about their daily lives.  These were courageous, intelligent and intrepid women usually overlooked by history textbooks.  Reading how the women viewed the events of the revolution and what they had to say about it, as well as how it affected their daily living, made the era more real to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.