
Kilimanjaro - A Photographic Journey to the Roof of Africa by Michel Moushabeck, photography by Hiltrud Schulz - A book I ordered from the library expecting to use it for school turned out to be far more interesting to me than to the kids. I did flip through so they could see some of the pictures, but they weren't very impressed. I, on the other hand, was intrigued not only by the lovely scenery, but also the photos included of the people and headed to the introduction to find out a little more about them. And wound up reading the whole book. Now THIS is how I like to go mountain-climbing - reading about it and enjoying the spectacular views through the lens of someone else's camera. I would love to go there myself, would love to be able to stand on the Uhuru Peak and see it all for myself, but I'll be honest - I'm not likely to take up mountain-climbing at this point. Not even Kilimanjaro, which the author points out is the tallest mountain in the world that can be climbed without technical equipment. Moushabeck, a publisher, tells how he impulsively asked to accompany a climbing-guide author on her climb of Kilimanjaro; and details the preparations for the trip as well as the eight days the group spent in climbing to the summit. His descriptions of the people, sights, and sounds are almost poetic; and his own sometimes humourous observations make it a very personal story as well. His wife, Hildi, is the photographer, and the images she captured are beautiful. I don't think most people have a mental picture of Kilimanjaro that includes vast glaciers and ice fields - it's in equatorial Africa, after all! - but they are there, and Schulz's photos are stunning.
[...] Finished Kilimanjaro and posted about it on Kym’s Bookcase. [...]
ReplyDelete