Friday, November 5

Recent Reads {The Intrigue at Highbury}



The Intrigue at Highbury (or, Emma's Match) by Carrie Bebris - I confess, I'm a little at loose ends as to what I will read now that I've finished all the (published) installments of Bebris' Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery series.  Who am I kidding - my to-read list is still miles long.  ;-)  After having been just slightly disappointed in the previous mystery, I was delighted that this one seemed to me to be much more true to the characters and style of Austen and the earlier mysteries.  Elizabeth and Darcy are travelling near Highbury when they meet with thieves on the road.  In reporting the robbery, they meet the Knightleys (from Jane Austen's Emma) and the other inhabitants of Highbury, and naturally become involved in solving the murder that takes place shortly before their arrival.  Not surprisingly, the Darcys and Knightleys form a friendship as they investigate (and matchmake! Well, Emma tries to matchmake, and Elizabeth is with her most of the time).   There are several suspects, and the two couples don't agree on which are the most likely.  In fact, Mr Knightley requests Darcy's assistance in the matter because he and Elizabeth are not previously acquainted with the residents of Highbury and aren't prejudiced for or against any of them.  In all, a satisfying mystery with a happy ending to the subplot, and I am left anticipating another Darcy mystery.  According to Ms Bebris' website, she is indeed working on a sixth!

3 comments:

  1. I have seen these but my library doesn't have them. I may have to look harder for them. Have you read the Jane Austen Mysteries by Stephanie Barron? I enjoyed those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the Stephanie Barron ones yet, but I *think* they are on my to-read list. Now that you've reminded me of them, I will go and make sure that they are!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.