Thursday, August 25

Recent Reads {Maire}



Maire by Linda Windsor - some time ago I was introduced to author Linda Windsor after picking up a book from the library feature shelf.   Her historical novels are really intriguing me!  This one is the first in a trilogy called The Fires of Gleannmara, and is set in fifth-century Ireland.  Maire is the young warrior queen of Glennmara who meets Rowan of Emrys when her warband attacks his settlement in Wales.  Maire takes Rowan as her hostage and husband, in order to secure tribute from his settlement and to save herself from an arranged marriage to a druid she doesn't trust.  She doesn't understand Rowan's faith or dedication to the one God, but finds that she can trust Rowan's courage and wisdom, and eventually comes to faith in the one God herself.  Windsor sets her fictional characters into an historical Ireland that brings the early days of Christianity in Erin to life.  A very enjoyable story!

By the same author:  Healer, Thief

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this does look intriguing. I'm putting it in my HUGE to be read pile. I can't seem to get this pile smaller! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My to-read pile is HUGE as well! I add books to it faster than I can read them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] Deep Church by Jim Belcher, Child of the Mist by Kathleen Morgan, and Maire by Linda [...]

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.