
Mr Darcy's Little Sister by C. Allyn Pierson - As the title indicates, this 'sequel' to Pride and Prejudice focuses on Georgiana, the younger sister of Mr Darcy. The story picks up after Darcy and Elizabeth announce their engagement and reflects on the wedding preparations and first year of their marriage mostly from Georgiana's point of view. Georgiana is preparing for her presentation at court and her first Season, and her close friendship with her new sister proves invaluable as she navigates London society and pursues her own dreams for happiness. Pierson has been very respectful of Jane Austen's characters and morals, and the result is a well-researched novel that is dignified, classy, and mostly believable, yet told for a 21st century reader. I kept turning the pages, interested in the storyline, yet not completely drawn in emotionally, but I'm not sure why. It seemed to me that Elizabeth's character became much too staid and matronly immediately upon her marriage, with her spirit and humour much more subdued than I would have imagined, and that did disappoint me somewhat. Overall, however, I think this book ranks among the finest of Jane
Austen fan fiction, because the main characters and major storyline are in keeping with the original work, and Austen herself would not need to blush over the behavior of the characters she created.
[...] Mr Darcy’s Little Sister by C Allyn Pierson, Surrender the Night by ML Tyndall, and This Time Together by Carol [...]
ReplyDelete