
Glamorous Illusions by Lisa T Bergren - This is the first in a new series set in the early 1900s, the Grand Tour series. The main character, Cora, comes home from a term at Normal School to find that her papa's health is rapidly deteriorating and the family is in imminent danger of losing their farm. But a surprise is in store - a wealthy stranger shows up to provide for her parents and to offer her the chance to see Europe in grand style. It turns out this stranger is really her father - she is the illegitimate daughter of a wealthy copper king. Cora faces a mixed reception from her father's family, and her reactions and emotions are a roller coaster ride as she tries to find her place in their family and fit in with her half-sisters and half-brother and their friends while on the Grand Tour. Cora must navigate these new experiences and some dangers while trying to determine who she really is. She finds a friend in the apprentice tour guide, Will, but the other relationships are uncertain and sometimes hostile. Will does his best to help and protect Cora, but has to suppress his growing feelings for her, because he knows that the relationship between guide and client has to remain just that.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as I have the other novels by Bergren that I've read. While I love historical fiction, I normally lose interest in any setting more recent than 1900. This storyline and its characters held my attention and drew me in, and I am already anxiously awaiting the next in the series, Grave Consequences, slated for release in spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.