
A British Bride by Agreement by Therese Stenzel - This is not my usual choice, because it is a contemporary setting, but at the time this book was free for Kindle and the description sounded interesting. I was a little surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. The main character, Emma, has recently been widowed and finds that her late husband had gambling debts that will completely ruin her. She is loathe to return to her own family in Great Britain, fearing that her parents will try to exploit her as they have in the past and wanting to distance herself from their unscrupulous business practices. As a result, she has to give serious consideration to the proposal from her late husband's employer, the very wealthy Jonathan Steller. Jonathan is an honorable Christian man, but he is looking for a wife that will help him in his ambitions in the company business. The two do come to an agreement and marry, and although each also longs for a deep, loving relationship together, there are many obstacles and misunderstandings that seem to conspire to keep them from it.
Towards the end of the book, I felt that the storyline became untidy and that the resolution was rushed and not believable. There were a couple of abrupt insertions of character motives or subplots that were confusing and had me paging back to see if there was something I'd missed previously - and there wasn't - and at the end I thought there were details missing in the final showdown that were confusing.
Overall, for a light and clean romance, this story did fit the bill, and I am willing to give other titles by this author consideration for my reading list.
©2008-2013 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.