
Pride and Prescience (Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged) by Carrie Bebris - Now that I'm reading this series for the second time, and having read many other Jane Austen-inspired sequels and retellings in the meantime, I have come to the conclusion that Carrie Bebris is my favorite author in this genre. Her characters, dialogue, and narrative are so consistent with Austen's that I am even willing to accept the more fantastical elements of the story.
In this sequel, Caroline Bingley manages to steal some of the spotlight on Darcy and Elizabeth's wedding day, by announcing her own engagement and upcoming nuptials. In the first couple of meetings Darcy and Elizabeth have with the newly married couple, they are surprised and even somewhat dismayed at Caroline's behavior and quite unusual circumstances. A storm and some curious accidents force the Darcys to spend several weeks at Netherfield with the Bingleys, the Hursts, and Caroline and her new husband; and the situation becomes more dangerous. Darcy and Elizabeth are the only ones to fully appreciate the possible threats, and even so they do not agree on the forces at play.
Bebris delivers a rather gothic mystery, but does so in a style wonderfully similar to Austen's. A very entertaining read!
My comments from a previous read: Pride and Prescience
By the same author: The Intrigue at Highbury, The Matter at Mansfield, North By Northanger, Suspense and Sensibility
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.