Monday, August 19

Recent Reads {The Matters at Mansfield}

The Matters at Mansfield, Or, The Crawford Affair by Carrie Bebris - I had read this fourth novel in the Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery series before, and I found that I enjoyed it much more the second time through, which isn't to say I didn't like it the first time. After my first reading, I'd said it was "definitely an enjoyable read" but also thought is was the "weakest outing of the four" in the series I'd read so far. Hmmm. I'm not sure I still agree with that assessment! This one is different from the first two in that it doesn't include a supernatural element to the mystery. Darcy's cousin Anne DeBourgh has finally summoned enough backbone to do what she wants to do, and to the great surprise of everyone, she elopes with the dashing Henry Crawford in order to escape the plans Lady Catherine has to marry her to a titled gentleman with a reputation for being anything but gentle or honorable! Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam ride after the couple but arrive too late to stop the marriage. An accident delays them in the village of Mansfield, where it is discovered that Anne's new husband has quite a history of romancing the ladies, and has even married at least one of his conquests, although under an assumed name. Elizabeth and Lady Catherine join the group at Mansfield and all are involved in trying to untangle the affair, which soon includes murder and further plotting.

What disappointed me in this book was the number of times that Lady Catherine is incredibly rude - even for her! - to Elizabeth, and Darcy does not defend his wife. Elizabeth doesn't tattle about all of this to Darcy, of course, but when he is standing in the same room and his aunt calls Elizabeth a "stupid, common baggage" I certainly thought he would have drawn a line at that, no matter how distraught everyone was at the time. Lady Catherine is also terribly rude to Meg, the young woman claiming to be married to Crawford, which seemed to me to be slightly out of character. I would have expected Lady Catherine to act as if Meg (a commoner, and a serving girl) was completely beneath her notice. Meg provides some welcome humour, however, as she blithely assumes that Lady Catherine is perhaps losing her mental faculties and speaks to her and about her patronizingly. 

My comments from a previous read: The Matters at Manfield


©2008-2013 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.