I will have to read "double time" to catch up on the 52 Books challenge. The Outlander series books are long, so reading this one took me longer than I would have expected.

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon - I worried when I started this book that I would have trouble finishing it in a timely manner. I had a lot going on, so a book this long was a challenge. It took me a couple of chapters to really get into this second one in the series too, because it starts out switching back and forth between Claire's first person narrative and a third person narrative that focuses on a "new" character, Roger. About 20 years has past since the end of Outlander, and Claire is back in the twentieth century. She and her adult daughter Brianna return to the Inverness area following the death of Frank, Claire's first husband. Claire seeks Roger's help in finding information about what happened to the men of Lallybroch at the Battle of Culloden, and he begins to put the pieces together. Finally Claire reveals to Brianna that her father was actually the highlander Jamie Fraser, and he was Claire's husband about two hundred years earlier. The narrative then switches back to the familiar first person account given by Claire and describes the events picking up at the end of Outlander up until Claire's return through the stones in the twentieth century while pregnant with Brianna. At the very end of the book, there is another section that alternates first person and third person narratives, as Brianna and Roger absorb the story that Claire has just told them. There was a particular reason that Claire sought out Roger - it turns out that his mother was the 'witch' Geillies Duncan that befriended Claire and had herself traveled through time using the standing stones. Spoiler alert: the cliffhanger ending sets up the next book of the series as in the last line, Roger reveals that it is possible that Jamie Fraser did not die at Culloden Moor as Claire and everyone had thought!
I won't be tackling the third book in the series immediately, but I will be reading it! It's easy to become invested in these characters and want to know what happens next. I have a few other books I want to finish up before following the continuing adventure.
By the same author: Outlander
©2008-2014 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.