
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - This is a series that has been on my to-read list for a very long time, having been recommended by at least three friends. I finally had the perfect reading storm so I could read it - managed to grab it at the library at a time when I didn't have much else I was reading and had plenty of time to devote to reading. I actually finished the book on New Years Day, so I'm counting it as my first book read in 2014! I know - that's sort of cheating.
Claire Beauchamp Randall is a former combat nurse in 1945, and she and her husband are on a second honeymoon in Inverness. While out on her own in the countryside, she inadvertently touches a boulder in an ancient stone circle and finds that she has gone back in time. She is now the English or Sassenach "outlander" in Scotland of 1743. Claire is thrust into the hostilities between England and Scotland leading up to the Jacobite rebellion, and finds that while the Scots she lives among don't necessarily trust her, she would be worse off with the English. To complicate matters, it is decided by the lairds that she must marry a young Scots warrior, Jamie Fraser. Difficult choices, intrigue, and danger from many sides keep the story moving briskly, and often keep Claire guessing what to expect next. During it all, the fierce and loyal love growing between her and Jamie leads them both to face incredible odds in order to protect each other and stay together.
(#1 for the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge)
(#1 for the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge)
©2008-2014 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
Not usually my cup of tea, but I actually enjoyed it as well. Have the next two books in my stacks.
ReplyDeleteI have the next one in my stack as well. :-) Thanks for visiting!
ReplyDelete