Tuesday, January 14

Recent Reads {A Christmas Garland}

I'm horribly behind on this blog - again. In an attempt to 'catch up' a little, I will do just brief entries on some of the books I read over the last couple months. And then try to mend my procrastinating ways. We'll see how that works out. ;-)
A Christmas Garland by Anne Perry - I thought I'd read all the Christmas novellas by Anne Perry, but this one was published in 2012 and I'd missed it. This one is set in India in 1857, after the tragic siege of Cawnpore. In the British garrison, a guard is killed and an Indian prisoner escapes, leading to more British deaths. The evidence and clues are slim and contradictory, and there are no witnesses, yet it seems a foregone conclusion that a British medical orderly, John Tallis, will be found guilty and executed as an accomplice to the crimes.  Lieutenant Victor Narraway is chosen to defend Tallis in the military court, but it's clear to him that he is expected to just go through the motions so that the case can be quickly concluded and all can feel that the deaths have been avenged. But Tallis hopelessly maintains his innocence, and Narraway stubbornly pursues true justice, knowing that he is the only hope for the accused man. The trial provides some tense courtroom drama, even in this quick read novella, and Narraway proves to be a canny detective who manages to find answers against great odds.


©2008-2014 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.