This post contains affiliate links.
Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far
by Amy Grant - I picked this book up a couple of years ago - maybe more than that - but for whatever reason I never got around to reading it. I've admired Amy Grant and enjoyed her music since very early in her career, so now that I've finally read this collection of her thoughts and stories of what has shaped her as a person and an artist, I feel that I know her a little better, perhaps a bit more personally. Sort of like interacting with someone online, and then being able to speak to them on the phone. Interspersed throughout Amy's memories are the lyrics to the songs that were inspired or related to the events and emotions she tells about. It was a quick read, but an enjoyable one.
Riveting. {What part of the book could you NOT get enough of?} The little glimpses of being part of Amy's family and home. The everyday things like having trouble dragging oneself out of bed in the morning, getting groceries, staying connected to family and friends, juggling commitments - and how seemingly small events stand out in memory because of the poignancy of the moment or the realization that God was speaking and working in it.
Elements. {How did you relate to/care for the characters?} Amy seems just as warm and human in this book as she always has in her music. I also enjoyed learning a little more about her family, who all seem to be lovely people as well.
Associate. {What other books are like this one? Does it remind you of a TV show or movie with its themes and characters? Did it serendipitously line up with things going on in your life or in the news right now?} I haven't read very many memoirs, or at least none that I remember well at this point. I think this is different from those that I have read in that the stories Amy tells in it are not in chronological order. They are, as the subtitle says, pieces of her life, almost as if jotted down as the memories occurred to her.
Design. {You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? How did it relate to the contents of the novel?} I love the sweet cover photo of Amy, which is very like many of the photos that appear in the covers of her albums. The meaning of the title Mosaic isn't really reflected in the cover art, but it is explained in the Introduction.
Stars. {How many out of five do you give this book? Would you recommend this book to a friend?} 4.5 stars. I would recommend this to all of Amy's fans, and I think especially to those who have followed her career for a long time. The insights into the personal experience that shaped her song-writing would be appreciated by anyone who has loved those songs and perhaps wondered.
©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
This review is linked at Rachel A. Dawson for #collaboreads (Memoir March)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.