Tuesday, October 11

Teaser Tuesday/First Chapter First Paragraph - The Captive Heart

This post contains affiliate links.
Teaser Tuesday | BooksAndABeat.com

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
A fearsome scowl raged on the reverend's face. "Mr Heath can press charges, Miss Morgan. Gaol time, most likely, until the full amount is reimbursed."
"Gaol or marriage?" She choked on a bitter laugh. "Sounds the same to me."
~The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep, page 43


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.

London
February 1770


     My precious Lord;
     My only hope;
     My Saviour, how I need You now.

   Eleanor Morgan repeated the words, over and over, scrubbing her fingernails more vigorously with each repetition. Prayer was always better than blood. Perhaps if she focused on the simple child's verse she taught her charges, she wouldn't feel like heaving. She bit her lip, trapping a scream behind her teeth. A merciless idea. Better had she cried out at the unfairness of it all, for now blood wasn't merely under her nails. Saltiness warmed the tip of her tongue.



Here's the blurb:

On the run from a brute of an aristocratic employer, Eleanor Morgan escapes from England to America, the land of the free, for the opportunity to serve an upstanding Charles Town family. But freedom is hard to come by as an indentured servant, and downright impossible when she's forced to agree to an even harsher contract --  marriage to a man she's never met.

Backwoodsman Samuel Heath doesn't care what others think of him -- but his young daughter's upbringing matters very much. The life of a trapper in the Carolina backcountry is no life for a small girl, but neither is abandoning his child to another family. He decides it's time to marry again, but that proves to be an impossible task. Who wants to wed a murderer?

Both Samuel and Eleanor are survivors, facing down the threat of war, betrayal, and divided loyalties that could cost them everything, but this time they must face their biggest challenge ever . . . love.

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

7 comments:

  1. "Prayer was always better than blood." HA!

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-countryside/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marriage or jail? I agree, sounds the same. lol.

    Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE AMERICAN GIRL”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it could be good! I want to know how it all plays out for Samuel and Eleanor. :-) Thanks for sharing, Kym.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have this on my wish list. I better make sure!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks intriguing. I would keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, not a me but, but hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds good! sounds like something I'd like to read; enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.