This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee - thank you!
The Share Four Somethings link-up hosted by HeatherGerwing.com continues in 2020 with a couple of changes to the prompts. I'm looking forward to continuing, so here we go with Something Loved, Something Read, Something Treasured, and Something Ahead.
Something Loved
Last week I got to take a trip back to the city where some of my relatives live and visit with the two aunts I roomed with when I was at college. It was a wonderful time with family, of course, but it also included some real treats for me to eat! I enjoyed vereniki and farmer sausage a couple of times, and tried out "Mennonite Poutine" at a favorite restaurant. Now I already know I won't be able to find farmer sausage around here, and making my own vereniki is also a challenge, but the poutine I can do! And I plan to. It's a poutine made with schmauntfat (cream gravy) instead of brown gravy, and in the absence of farmer sausage, I'll use another type of sausage or bacon instead. Are you familiar with poutine? What variations of the dish are your favorites?
Something Read
Last week I got to take a trip back to the city where some of my relatives live and visit with the two aunts I roomed with when I was at college. It was a wonderful time with family, of course, but it also included some real treats for me to eat! I enjoyed vereniki and farmer sausage a couple of times, and tried out "Mennonite Poutine" at a favorite restaurant. Now I already know I won't be able to find farmer sausage around here, and making my own vereniki is also a challenge, but the poutine I can do! And I plan to. It's a poutine made with schmauntfat (cream gravy) instead of brown gravy, and in the absence of farmer sausage, I'll use another type of sausage or bacon instead. Are you familiar with poutine? What variations of the dish are your favorites?
My aunt used to bake these very simple White Cookies that I and my kids absolutely loved, and somehow I never got the recipe. Until this visit. I helped her bake the cookies, brought a batch home, and made myself a copy of the recipe.
Something Read
I completed three books in January. (But I reviewed five - two of the ones I finished earlier didn't get reviewed until after the Christmas break!) You can see more about my reading in my Monthly Bookshelf Review for January 2020. I plan to have it up tomorrow.
Something Treasured
It's nothing unusual to have my family featured in these kinds of categories, but this month it's a little different. My travel to visit family was prompted by a milestone birthday celebration, and it allowed me to catch up with a few family members that I hadn't seen in a very long time.
This is me with my one and only cousin on my mom's side of the family. I am the oldest of the children in my family, and she is the only child of any of my mom's siblings. And we almost share a birthday - hers is one day after mine.
My two aunts, my mom's older sisters, are in this photo - the lady in front just celebrated her 90th birthday!
Something Ahead
This is the section where we share things that are coming up in the month ahead. Our schedule will get busy - busier! - again in February as college classes begin and we settle into a few new routines to accommodate the girls' classes and all our work schedules. Some fun things I have planned for the month ahead include a Bears hockey game with a group, get-togethers with homeschool moms and with friends, and a double date night.
©2008-2020 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
The Blizzard Bride by Susanne Dietze
She Laughs by Carolanne Miljavac
Penny For Your Secrets by Anna Lee Huber





She Laughs by Carolanne Miljavac
Penny For Your Secrets by Anna Lee Huber
Something Treasured
It's nothing unusual to have my family featured in these kinds of categories, but this month it's a little different. My travel to visit family was prompted by a milestone birthday celebration, and it allowed me to catch up with a few family members that I hadn't seen in a very long time.
This is me with my one and only cousin on my mom's side of the family. I am the oldest of the children in my family, and she is the only child of any of my mom's siblings. And we almost share a birthday - hers is one day after mine.
Here's my mom and her youngest sister, my cousin's mom. I haven't seen this aunt and cousin in just over six years.
![]() |
| Me and Mom |
Something Ahead
This is the section where we share things that are coming up in the month ahead. Our schedule will get busy - busier! - again in February as college classes begin and we settle into a few new routines to accommodate the girls' classes and all our work schedules. Some fun things I have planned for the month ahead include a Bears hockey game with a group, get-togethers with homeschool moms and with friends, and a double date night.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.











Sounds like you had a wonderful time visiting your family!
ReplyDeleteI love taking a peek at what others are reading. Thanks for sharing your January list!
ReplyDelete