Friday, January 6

Friday Fun - The Friday 56 and First Lines for January 6, 2022

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee. 


Just over a month ago, we moved to Ohio, and just before the holidays, I got my new local library card. I tested it out by borrowing a book about Ohio history, because isn't that what readers do?

***************

The solid oak planks of the boat held, but the treasured pie safe - and the crate of chickens - toppled into the roiling water. Peter could swim, but it was dark and the waves were moving fast, so he only managed to save the chickens, since they were easy to locate by their shrieking.

~from page 56 of It Happened In Ohio by Carol Cartaino


True Tales from the Buckeye State's Past - from the birth of Tecumseh to the Bicentennial Barnstorm

For a small state, Ohio has had a big impact on America. This agricultural, political, and industrial power has long been known for the vigor, earnestness, and imagination of its citizens. It Happened in Ohio goes behind the scenes to tell its story, in short episodes that reveal the intriguing people and events that have shaped the Buckeye State.
 


The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.

***************

I moved to southern Ohio in 1978 from what the people around here call "up East." I wondered before I left whether you could take a state with only four letters in its name seriously and knew only that Ohio seemed to be a fairly flat, bland place beyond the mountains of Pennsylvania. 

~From the beginning of It Happened In Ohio by Carol Cartaino




Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.

*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.

***************
RimSP button

First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower

*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.

***************

And here is the weekly bookish question in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  

This Week's Question: What was the first book you read this year?

My Answer: I haven't quite finished it yet, but I will count Obedient Unto Death by Liisa Eyerly as my first book completed. I actually started it in the summer but was unable to finish at the time, so I was able to skim the beginning to remind myself before settling in to find out how all the clues in this murder mystery fit together. Review coming soon!




 ©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



 

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like It Happened in Ohio will be perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first line comes from the first chapter of The Mark of Grace by KimberleyWoodhouse:
    Monday, May 3, 1909 El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon
    Spoons clattered against pots. Steam sputtered out from under lids. The scent of fresh-baked bread and brewing coffee filled the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested already - I think that one might be on my TBR!

      Delete
  3. My first book was The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't finished a book yet this year. Obedient Until Death sounds interesting.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2023/01/06/book-blogger-hop-what-was-the-first-book-you-read-this-year/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Friday!
    I am finishing up The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz, so I will share a line from there.
    "Davie is in the tower."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the library system here, don't you??? So many options! I have not read anything on Ohio though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obedient Until Death sounds great - part mystery, part history. Great mix - and hope you enjoy the book on Ohio.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-8

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting read to learn about your new surroundings history. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first book of the year was The Rose and the Thistle by Laura Frantz. I'm currently reading The sisters of Sea View by Julie Klassen. The first line is: "April 1819. Sarah Summers carefully lifted the family heirloom, a warm mantle of nostalgia settling over her." Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.