Friday, January 20

Friday Fun - The Friday 56 and First Lines for January 20, 2023

This post contains affiliate links - using affiliate links from Just A Second helps supply books and coffee


Usually I'm not drawn to novels set during WWII, or during the twentieth century in general, but this one intrigued me when it was offered for review. I'm just getting started. 

***************

I thought this would be a fun adventure, but I'm having second thoughts. All I know is that I can't run home and admit to Mom and Jay that they were right and that I was crazy for wanting to come here. I may not find out anything about where I came from and who my ancestors were. I may not find out anything about what it means to be Jewish.

~from page 56 of What I Would Tell You by Liz Tolsma


Determined to resist the invading Nazis, a Greek Jewish woman's greatest dream has become her worst nightmare, and now she faces an impossible choice whose consequences echo across the generations.

1941 - The pounding of Nazi boots on the streets of Salonika, Greece, reverberates in Mathilda Nissim's ears, shaking her large community of Sephardic Jews to its core and altering her life forever. If only her people would rise up and resist their captors. At great risk to herself and those around her, she uses the small newspaper she publishes to call them to action, all to no avail. Her husband encourages her to trust God to watch over them, but God has once again deserted His people. Amid the chaos, Mathilda discovers she's expecting a longed-for child. Still, nothing stops the occupier's noose from tightening around their necks, and she may have to resort to desperate measures to ensure her daughter's survival.

2019 - College student Tessa Payton and her cousin take a popular DNA heritage test only to discover they don't share any common ancestors. In fat, the test reveals Tessa is a Greek Sephardic Jew. This revelation threatens her tenuous faith. Always the overlooked child in her family, she empties her savings account and jets off on a journey to Greece to discover where she belongs and which God demands her allegiance. The enchanting curator at the Jewish museum guides her as she navigates life in Thessaloniki, helps her with her genealogical research, and loans her a fascinating journal written by a Jewish woman during WWII. Tessa's search, however, may open old wounds and uncover long-hidden secrets that could fracture her family forever and leave her with more question than when she started.

Based in part on true accounts of Jews in Salonika, Greece, What I Would Tell You traces two women's journeys, delving into what faith looks like and where it leads us as they navigate difficult circumstances and impossible choices that have ripple effects across the years.



The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to Page 56 or 56% on your e-reader.
*Find a snippet, short and sweet.
*Post it, and share in the Linky.

***************
Sunday, April 6, 1941
Salonika, Greece

This is the day I dreaded, the day I feared might come, the day I prayed never would. Greece will never be the same. Will the Nazis treat the Jews here the same way they are treating them in Poland and in Czechoslovakia?

~From the beginning of What I Would Tell You by Liz Tolsma





Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader.

*It's Book Beginnings on Fridays! Time to gather with our fellow book lovers and share the opening sentence (or so) of the books we are reading this week. Or share from a book that is on your mind right now -- whatever catches your fancy.

***************
RimSP button

First Line Fridays is hosted at Reading is My SuperPower

*Share the first line or two of the book closest to you, then visit other FLF participants.
*Please keep posts family friendly or clean reads.
*Link back to Reading is My SuperPower within your post or grab a button.

***************

And here is the weekly bookish question in the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.  

This Week's Question: Do you use social media to keep up with your favorite authors?

My Answer: I do follow several of my favorites on Facebook and a couple on Instagram. I don't interact directly with them very often though. 



 ©2008-2023 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/ 

 We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.



11 comments:

  1. Just received Liz’s book in the mail. Need to squeeze it in!

    My first line comes from Hearts of Steel by Elizabeth Camden:
    Prologue
    New York City, 1890 Lower East Side of Manhattan
    Maggie Molinaro was five blocks from the safety of her uncle’s garage when she noticed the gang of boys following her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Camden's books and this one is on my list to get to sometime!

      Delete
  2. I use Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Instagram is my #1 spot where I connect with my favorite authors, I like to find out what they are coming out with next and chatting about the books they have already published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a tough read for me. I hope you love it though. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy this one, Kym! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds like it has a little of a different twist from the usual WWII stories. Enjoy!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-9

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Billionaire's Nanny by Elizabeth Maddrey. It's a good story.
    "'You're back!' Megan darted out from behind the cash register as soon as I stepped through the bookstore door, and pulled me into a tight hug."
    I hope you have a good weekend. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever read any WWII Greece set books before. I might have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this sounds like a fascinating story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this cover. I'm currently reading The Weight of Air by Kimberly Duffy. The first line is: "You are sure you don't want me to go with you to the station?" Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.