
These Three Remain by Pamela Aidan - This third in the series picks up Mr Darcys story (his side of Pride and Prejudice) with his planned trip to Rosings to visit Lady Catherine de Bourgh, where he chances to meet again with Elizabeth Bennet. Austen fans know that this is where he offers his first proposal to Elizabeth only to be turned down flat. Aidan imagines Darcys reactions to the embarrassing set-down and the course his life takes until he again meets Elizabeth, this time at Pemberley. While the second novel in this series took a rather odd twist, this one is more in keeping with Austens style, in my opinion, and does an admirable job of acquainting us with Darcys thoughts and views during his encounters with Elizabeth, his response to her criticisms, how he is able to track down Wickham and Lydia, and his second attempt at courting Elizabeth. Very enjoyable read!
By the same author: An Assembly Such as This, Duty and Desire
I read this recently too!. I enjoyed it too. I agree, the 2nd one took a bizarre tangent, while this one stayed more true to the story.
ReplyDelete