Wednesday, January 19

Recent Reads{Bespelling Jane Austen}

Before I do anything else... I am not recommending this book - in fact, I'd recommend avoiding it.



Bespelling Jane Austen by Mary Balogh, Colleen Gleason, Susan Krinard, Janet Mullany - My second negative review in as many posts!  But in this case, I am going with a firm two thumbs DOWN rating on it.  This was actually a collection of four novellas in which modern day authors base a paranormal story on an Austen classic. I thoroughly enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I do like a good vampire story, but I was not at all impressed with this anthology. I'm not familiar with any of these authors, and after having read a sampling of their work, I don't plan to become so in the future. Balogh does a tolerable job of giving a reincarnation spin to "Persuasion" but it certainly could have worked at least as well without as much detail in the 'love' scenes, if you know what I mean... But that was only the beginning - there was worse to come. Gleason took Northanger Abbey as her inspiration for a vampire story. I was unimpressed by the characters and writing, but at least it was clean. Krinard presents another version of the 'Mr Darcy is a vampire' theory, but sets her Pride and Prejudice based story in modern day New York City. This is probably the best story of the set, but does involve some crudity as well. Mullany's version of Emma starts off with some promise (for about 3 pages) - she sets the story in a modern-day Washington DC in which paranormal creatures are quite... normal. It's humorous and quirky, and might be a good story except for the crudely graphic bodice-ripper scenes and coarse language. My recommendation would be to skip this book altogether, even if, like me, you are an Austen spin-off and vampire novel fan. This was a couple hours of my life I'll never get back - good story ideas ruined by foul language and the horrible mistake of equating se* and romance.  Jane Austen would be offended, I'm very sure.  I certainly was.

?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.