Tuesday, July 12

Recent Reads {Emma}

I finished several books over the past week or two, but am behind on blogging about them. Here we go:



Emma by Jane Austen - this is the heroine Austen herself believed that no one would like except herself. As with Fanny in Mansfield Park, I did find that I liked Emma quite well. She is spoiled and complacent, and a bit snobbish, but is generally kind-hearted and gracious, even if she is often hiding her true opinions behind her impeccable manners and consciousness of her place in society. She is beyond patient and generous with her father's eccentricities as well. The entire novel takes place within the confines of Highbury, with only references to other locales. Emma herself has never travelled outside of Highbury, not even to the nearby Box Hill which the characters visit near the end of the novel (with some disastrous results). The subtle humour throughout gives the novel its charm and movement despite its limited action.

By the same author:  Pride and Prejudice, Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, The History of England, Mansfield Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.