Monday, January 14

The Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge


2013 marks two hundred years since Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice was published.  To mark the bicentenary, the blog Austenprose is hosting a Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge.  Participants are encouraged to commit to reading the original masterpiece, some of the many spinoffs or sequels, or view some of the movie versions.  The challenge runs from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013.  Select a level of participation (Neophyte: 1-4 selections; Disciple - 5-8 selections; Aficionada: 9-12 selections); detail the novels or movies planned for 2013 in a blog post; and leave a link in the comments on the Austenprose Challenge post.  There will be giveaways each month, and a grand prize at the end of the year.

Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite novels, and I never tire of reading it, so I will plan on reading it again this year.  I have a long list of spinoff and sequels or prequels that I would like to read, but I will commit to the following two, because I have them and haven't previously read them:

Darcy Goes to War by Mary Lydon Simonsen
Georgiana Darcy's Diary by Anna Elliott

And because they are among my favorites, I will plan on getting a start on re-reading the Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery series by Carrie Bebris.  I own the first three in the series of six.

My daughter has watched the BBC versions of Sense and Sensibility and Emma with me (or at least parts of them), and also watched the movie "Becoming Jane Austen" and she enjoyed those, to my delight and surprise.  I'm pretty sure she would like to watch a Pride and Prejudice movie, so I'm going to plan on introducing her to my favorite version, which happens to be the BBC movie starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

I guess that puts me in the Disciple category, with a goal of at least six books and one movie. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.