Sunday, April 28

Recent Reads {Pride and Prejudice}


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - That's right. The original and still the best. I don't know how many times I've read it now, but I never get tired of it. I even find myself purposely reading slowly, just to make it last longer. Anyway, during this most recent reading, I was particularly paying attention to some of the little details of what happened and what was said, because after reading so many retellings and sequels, it becomes easy to assume something happened simply because you've read it in so many other versions. Mr Bennet is one of my favorite characters, because of his dry wit, but obviously he has some failings as a father and head of his household. I found myself wondering as I read his comments and humorous asides (often at the expense of his wife and younger daughters) how he and Mrs Bennet wound up together. That might be an interesting prequel, although I'm sure some enterprising author has already tried it and I'm just not aware of it. As usual, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Austen's understated but witty narration of the classic love story and my only regrets are that her telling of the story ends, and that she didn't write dozens more novels.

By the same author: Persuasion, Emma, Mansfield Park, Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, The History of England (and some brief thoughts I wrote on my last reading of Pride and Prejudice)

©2008-2013 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.