This post may contain affiliate links.

The Tutor's Daughter
by Julie Klassen - Emma Smallwood and her widowed father are invited to live in a clifftop manor in Cornwall so that Mr Smallwood can be private tutor to the younger brothers of two of his former boarding school students. Their welcome is strained and strange, and it's not long before Emma notices mysterious happenings like someone sneaking into her room at night. Unlike the over-imaginative Catherine (in Austen's Northanger Abbey) however, Emma is practical and organized, and refuses to allow fear to get the better of her. Emma must also determine whether both or either of the older sons can be trusted. The oldest, Henry, teased and tormented her when he was her father's student; while Philip was kind and generous. Emma worries that one of them may to blame for the pranks played on her, and wonders at her own feelings about and for them. And is it possible that one of the brothers is especially drawn to her?
Although the strange goings-on in Ebbington Manor and the hints at darker motives are reminiscent of the setting for Northanger Abbey, Emma's no-nonsense nature handles the suspense in a much different manner than Catherine did. Despite her practicality, Emma is also warm-hearted and compassionate; but I was a little surprised that she wasn't quicker to put together the pieces of the puzzle. I wasn't always entirely sure of the motives of some of the minor characters, but there was a good mix of "okay, I could have seen that coming" and "wow, I would not have guessed that" as the events unfolded. I loved this book and am definitely becoming a fan of Julie Klassen's books!
By the same author: The Dancing Master

The Tutor's Daughter
Although the strange goings-on in Ebbington Manor and the hints at darker motives are reminiscent of the setting for Northanger Abbey, Emma's no-nonsense nature handles the suspense in a much different manner than Catherine did. Despite her practicality, Emma is also warm-hearted and compassionate; but I was a little surprised that she wasn't quicker to put together the pieces of the puzzle. I wasn't always entirely sure of the motives of some of the minor characters, but there was a good mix of "okay, I could have seen that coming" and "wow, I would not have guessed that" as the events unfolded. I loved this book and am definitely becoming a fan of Julie Klassen's books!
By the same author: The Dancing Master
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.