This post contains affiliate links.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
I'm featuring a book that I chanced to find FREE for Kindle yesterday. This morning I checked and it is still free, but I don't know for how long. I enjoyed the previous novel from this author that I've read, so I'm looking forward to this one whenever I can fit it into my to-read list!
And perhaps she should make certain of his guilt before she spread damaging tales about him. It wouldn't be the first time she'd kept her mouth shut about words she'd overheard or been told directly while tending a patient, or even traveling home.
~Lady in the Mist: A Novel (The Midwives)
by Laurie Alice Eakes, at 12% on my Kindle
~Lady in the Mist: A Novel (The Midwives)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.
Seabourne, Virginia
May 1809
"I'm sorry." Tabitha Eckles dared not look Harlan Wilkins in the eye. If she witnessed even a flicker of grief, the floodgates of her own tears would spring open and drown her good sense in a moment when she needed all of it. "I did everything I could to save your wife."
"I'm sure you did." Wilkins's tone held no emotion. He stood next to the dining room sideboard with the rigidity of a porch pillar. Candlelight played across the lower half of his face, sparkling in the crystal glass he held to his lips without drinking, without speaking further.
"The baby came too soon . . ." Tabitha needed to say something more to a husband who had just lost his young bride of only six months, as well as their son. "After the accident--"
May 1809
"I'm sorry." Tabitha Eckles dared not look Harlan Wilkins in the eye. If she witnessed even a flicker of grief, the floodgates of her own tears would spring open and drown her good sense in a moment when she needed all of it. "I did everything I could to save your wife."
"I'm sure you did." Wilkins's tone held no emotion. He stood next to the dining room sideboard with the rigidity of a porch pillar. Candlelight played across the lower half of his face, sparkling in the crystal glass he held to his lips without drinking, without speaking further.
"The baby came too soon . . ." Tabitha needed to say something more to a husband who had just lost his young bride of only six months, as well as their son. "After the accident--"
Lady in the Mist: A Novel (The Midwives)
by Laurie Alice Eakes
Here's the blurb:
By virtue of her profession as a midwife, Tabitha Eckles is the keeper of many secrets: the names of fathers of illegitimate children, the level of love and harmony within many a marriage, and now the identity of a man who may have caused his wife's death.
Dominick Cherrett is a man with his own secret to keep: namely, what he, a British nobleman, is doing on American soil working as a bondsman in the home of Mayor Kendall, a Southern gentleman with his eye on a higher office.
By chance one morning before the dawn has broken, Tabitha and Dominick cross paths on a misty beachhead, leading them on a twisted path through kidnappings, death threats, public disgrace, and . . . love? Can Tabitha trust Dominick? What might he be hiding? And can either of them find true love in a world that seems set against them? With stirring writing that puts readers directly into the story, Lady in the Mist expertly explores themes of identity, misperception, and love's discovery.
Dominick Cherrett is a man with his own secret to keep: namely, what he, a British nobleman, is doing on American soil working as a bondsman in the home of Mayor Kendall, a Southern gentleman with his eye on a higher office.
By chance one morning before the dawn has broken, Tabitha and Dominick cross paths on a misty beachhead, leading them on a twisted path through kidnappings, death threats, public disgrace, and . . . love? Can Tabitha trust Dominick? What might he be hiding? And can either of them find true love in a world that seems set against them? With stirring writing that puts readers directly into the story, Lady in the Mist expertly explores themes of identity, misperception, and love's discovery.
What do you think? Would you continue reading?
This one does sound good. My teaser this week comes from the first book in an urban fantasy series I recently discovered - Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett. Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like it could be good. I'd have to read a bit more to be sure I'd stick with it.
ReplyDeleteThe cover looks amazing and I really enjoyed the teaser.
ReplyDeleteHere is my teaser.
I am now curious, so I would want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “TERRIBLE VIRTUE”
ReplyDeleteI would definitely keep reading! I went and snagged this one - it's still free!
ReplyDeleteGood to know! Hope you enjoy it!
DeleteSounds intriguing and I did like that excerpt - thank you so much for sharing
ReplyDeleteOh, this one sounds very interesting! You should definitely keep reading. That paragraph has me really curious about the "accident."
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm very curious about what the "accident" was . . .
DeleteThat first paragraph is a great teaser. It's nearly impossible to stop with that cliffhanger. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteI first thought this might be about Avalon. It does sound good. I'd keep reading it:)
ReplyDeleteMy TT from Station 331 by Darcy Coates
I don't think that this is a me-book but, I hope you like it.
ReplyDeleteI like the intro and teaser. I would keep reading. Not my usual type of book but I am always open!
ReplyDeleteI love it when I can find a free book by an author I've read and enjoyed before. This does sound good, and I hope you are able to fit it in soon as I'd like to know what you think!
ReplyDeleteI would keep reading! I think I may have this on my Kindle.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like an interesting book! I love books that have elements of intrigue. I hope that you enjoy it! :)
ReplyDelete