Tuesday, April 12

Teaser Tuesdays/First Chapter First Paragraph - Counted With the Stars

This post contains affiliate links. 
Teaser

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
  • Be careful not to include spoilers!
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers! 
The lone voice remained solitary for only a moment, then others joined its lament, and then still more. Soon a cacophony of lamentation surrounded us on all sides, as though the entire land of Egypt grieved with one loud voice.
~Counted With the Stars (Out From Egypt) by Connilyn Cossette, page 162




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 


First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading soon.

PROLOGUE


20TH DAY OF AKHET
SEASON OF INUNDATION
1448 BC
   My sandals have not crossed this threshold since I was ten.
   Inhaling, I focused on the Eye of Horus woven into the papyrus mat beneath my feet. After summoning an infusion of courage from its steady gaze, I lifted my chin and entered my father's chambers.
   My father's braided wig lay on his desk, as if flung aside without a thought for his usual meticulous appearance. He stood with his back to me, studying a document with such intensity that my quiet entrance had gone unnoticed. Did I imagine that his hand trembled?
   Intuition fluttered in my chest. Never had I seen my father so unraveled.
. . .
   "This is the only way. To protect your mother, and Jumo, from being sold as well. I have no choice."   


Counted With the Stars (Out From Egypt) by Connilyn Cossette


Here's the blurb:

Sold into slavery by her father and forsaken by the man she was supposed to marry, young Egyptian Kiya must serve a mistress who takes pleasure in her humiliation. When terrifying plagues strike Egypt, Kiya is in the middle of it all.

Choosing to flee with the Hebrews, Kiya finds herself reliant on a strange God and drawn to a man who despises her people. With everything she's ever known swept away and now facing the trials of the desert, will she turn back toward Egypt or surrender her life and her future to Yahweh?

What do you think? Would you continue reading?

©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful story. The teaser on my adult blog comes from a mystery - Cold Girl by RM Greenaway. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good -- I'd definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely continue reading. Great teaser!


    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely excerpts, and intense story! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “BREAKDOWN”

    ReplyDelete
  5. great opening! mine is here: https://francebooktours.com/2016/04/12/first-chapter-first-paragraph-the-sword-of-the-maiden/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a time period I do not read a lot about, but your teaser and opening captured my attention. I would continue reading, and definitely know more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great teaser. Hope the rest of the story is as good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading historical fiction from this time period so I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't read much historical fiction so I think I'd pass. I do hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great teaser/Intro! I do enjoy historical fiction so I'll have to keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.