This post contains affiliate links.

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jenn at Books and Beat. To play along, just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
- Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teasers!
"But you're here," Kate said. "Surely you mourn his passing?"
Meg held Kate's gaze. "I came to see if I might like him better dead than alive. And I find I don't, after all."
~Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy)
by Maureen Lang, page 40


Meg held Kate's gaze. "I came to see if I might like him better dead than alive. And I find I don't, after all."
~Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First Chapter/First Paragraph/Tuesday Intros is a weekly link-up hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea. To participate, share the first paragraph (or two) of a book you're reading, or thinking about reading.
PROLOGUE
APRIL 1879
ALONG THE UPPER POST ROAD, CONNECTICUT
Freezing rain pelted Meg Davenport. Though her cloak was thoroughly sodden, along with the hem of her gingham skirt, she refused to think about her misery. This is my last chance. All the blasted rain in the sky won't stop me now.
A glimmer of warm hope stirred inside when she peered ahead instead of watching her own slippery steps. People, horses, carriages. She'd jumped from the back of a farm wagon nearly a mile a go when it turned off the main road, and here at last was her first destination - the roadhouse near the train station.
Meg hurried into the modest one-story building, squeezing through the crowd but keeping her hood so low that she could barely scout an opening in the room. Though she wanted to, she wouldn't dare remove her wet cloak. She'd promised herself not to take any risk of being seen, at least not until reaching safe anonymity in the thick of New York City.
Here's the blurb:
Raised at an exclusive boarding school, Meg Davenport has everything she needs but none of what she's wanted most - like the love of a family, or a future not dependent on following etiquette and marrying well. So when she receives shocking news of her father's death, Meg seizes the chance to break every rule that has governed her life. Especially when she learns John Davenport wasn't the wealthy businessman she thought, but one of the Gilded Age's most talented thieves.
Ian Maguire knows that John - his mentor - would never have wanted his beloved daughter to follow in his footsteps. Yet she is determined to carry on his legacy, and her talent for garden design has earned her an invitation to stay with one of Fifth Avenue's wealthiest families. With friends like those, Meg could help Ian pull of his biggest heist yet.
But living in both worlds is more treacherous than Meg imagined. And as Ian's concern for Meg turns to love, he finds himself torn between greed and guilt. Can they find the legacy they both long for, or in trying to gain everything, will they end up losing it all?
What do you think? Would you continue reading?
©2008-2016 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
Great teaser. I'm tempted to read the book just to find out about "him." My teaser this week is from one of my favorite authors - When All the Girls Have Gone by Jayne Ann Krentz. Happy reading!
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of this one, but it sounds good... especially the setting.
ReplyDeleteShe sounds like one strong and determined character - and I have to say I love that cover!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I love the first tease you shared. And the opening definitely has me intrigued about what Meg is up to. I would definitely keep reading. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSounds interesting. I hope you enjoy it. GIrl Who Reads
ReplyDeleteThe intro is very intriguing and I want to know why she feels that way.
ReplyDeleteThis isn't my normal type of read but the teaser is interesting. Might have to add it to my tbr list :-)
ReplyDelete