Friday, May 12

Book Blogger Hop - May 12th, 2017

This post contains affiliate links.

Welcome to another Book Blogger Hop question. Visit Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer to see the responses from other book bloggers.

If you read a book you ended up hating, would you stay away from future books by that author, or would you give them a second chance? 

In theory, I'd sometimes be willing to give the author a second chance, but the reality is that I would probably stay away from any other books. When I think back to the times that I've truly disliked a book, I have indeed blacklisted the author in my mind.

It does depend on the reason I so disliked the book, I suppose. If I hated it because I didn't like the writing style, or because it contained too much graphic content then it's quite unlikely I'd try anything else by that author.

If the problem was that the grammar and punctuation was so bad that it ruined any enjoyment of the story, I might give the author another chance down the road. I can think of one book I read that was a pretty good story but was beyond frustrating for me because there were so many punctuation and grammar problems. The author had not made use of an editor, and in responses to the reviews mentioning these problems, it appeared he didn't really understand the importance of correct punctuation. There is at least one sequel planned to the book I read, but I would not read it unless I saw that the author had used a good editor the next time around.

With so many books and authors to choose from, I guess I'd rather not revisit those that weren't enjoyable for me the first time!

©2008-2017 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Fair enough. I like to give second chances, but I wouldn't give a third if the second book still didn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graphic content keeps me away.

    Love your answer....well thought out and reasonable.

    ENJOYABLE is the key to what I read too.

    Thanks for sharing, and have a good weekend.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about the time factor. Why waste time and energy on a potential flop. I will give an author a second chance if I see their fans have also not liked that particular book.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a good point about there just being so many books out there we want to read, that coming back to an author whose book you didn't like isn't likely to happen. I cannot say I have ever truly hated a book. At least not that I can remember. There have been some I haven't liked. It really depends on the reason for me whether I try that author again or not.

    Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.