Empty Nest: What's Next?: Parenting Adult Children Without Losing Your Mind
by Michele Howe - This is another book that I read quite some time ago, but waited to post a review here until after it had posted on The Old Schoolhouse website. I'd almost forgotten about it! Here's a shorter version of that review.
As my children are growing up and our own nest is beginning to empty, I've realized that there are not as many resources for parents of adult children as there are for parents of little ones. This devotional book offers encouragement and advice for parents navigating their changing roles as their children become adults. The book contains thirty brief chapters, each with a story from the author's own experience or the experience of someone close to her; some encouraging words about dealing with the situation with the help of the Lord; and a short prayer. Each chapter begins with Scripture and an inspirational quote. At just four pages long, the chapters are perfect for a daily devotional. The subjects covered include those that we all face as our children grow up as well as some of the crisis type of situations that we hope we won't have to face. Howe offers an encouraging perspective on redefining our changing roles, reinvesting in our marriage, allowing our adult children to make their own decisions, and more. She deals with topics related to welcoming our children's mates and navigating the new roles we'll play when we become grandparents.
I'm in the early stages of the empty nest, so I gained encouragement from the devotional thoughts and prayers even though I haven't come face to face with most of the situations yet. For parents that find themselves in the thick of the empty nest experience and perhaps facing some difficult circumstances, this book offers a reminder to continually trust our adult children to the Lord. You won't find step-by-step instructions on what to do when an adult child is facing a crisis, but you will find encouragement and compassion, and some direction for how to start praying in those kinds of heart-breaking situations. I recommend this as a devotional guide to moms whose children are beginning to move into adulthood, or for couples to read together. Although not exclusively written to mothers, I think moms will more readily relate to the emotions and struggles expressed. It would also make a wonderful discussion and prayer guide for a small group of empty nest parents meeting to support each other.
As my children are growing up and our own nest is beginning to empty, I've realized that there are not as many resources for parents of adult children as there are for parents of little ones. This devotional book offers encouragement and advice for parents navigating their changing roles as their children become adults. The book contains thirty brief chapters, each with a story from the author's own experience or the experience of someone close to her; some encouraging words about dealing with the situation with the help of the Lord; and a short prayer. Each chapter begins with Scripture and an inspirational quote. At just four pages long, the chapters are perfect for a daily devotional. The subjects covered include those that we all face as our children grow up as well as some of the crisis type of situations that we hope we won't have to face. Howe offers an encouraging perspective on redefining our changing roles, reinvesting in our marriage, allowing our adult children to make their own decisions, and more. She deals with topics related to welcoming our children's mates and navigating the new roles we'll play when we become grandparents.
I'm in the early stages of the empty nest, so I gained encouragement from the devotional thoughts and prayers even though I haven't come face to face with most of the situations yet. For parents that find themselves in the thick of the empty nest experience and perhaps facing some difficult circumstances, this book offers a reminder to continually trust our adult children to the Lord. You won't find step-by-step instructions on what to do when an adult child is facing a crisis, but you will find encouragement and compassion, and some direction for how to start praying in those kinds of heart-breaking situations. I recommend this as a devotional guide to moms whose children are beginning to move into adulthood, or for couples to read together. Although not exclusively written to mothers, I think moms will more readily relate to the emotions and struggles expressed. It would also make a wonderful discussion and prayer guide for a small group of empty nest parents meeting to support each other.
©2008-2017 Just A Second. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. http://justasecondblog.blogspot.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please take just a second to leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you.